comprehension difficult

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Katherine

comprehension difficult

Post by Katherine »

Hi

My child who is preparingfor 11+ is ok with other topics, He is a good reader too,inspite he finds v.difficult in doing comprehension. Even I find difficult in understanding and answering questions esp in Bond series. I spent a lot in buying books- how to improve comprehension, but not find useful,still in the same level. Most of the Comprehension articles /poems are difficult to understand what they mean by?Can anybody please advice how to improve comprehension skills in simple and understanding way? I am getting bit tensed because of this as comprehension got about 10-15 marks.
How will be the Reading school comprehension part?
Advance thanks to everybody for ur replies.
Katherine
I have posted this topic in "Tips" also
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Hi Katherine,

It would be helpful to know whether the test your son is preparing for is multiple choice or standard version. I found that I had to take a different approach for each format when preparing my daughter for her 11+ and entrance exams.

It is also worth bearing in mind that over the coming months he will be probably be covering a lot more of this kind of work at school as it forms a fairly substantial part of the SAT assessments. :roll:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Katherine,

The Reading English test is a Multiple choice test. It is a full paper in it's own right and therefore worth beyond the 10-15 marks you have been advised.

If you look at the posts on the Berkshire forum of this site there are many posts and alot of ideas that may be of help to you.

:D

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Katherine,

Format of Reading exam here,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1687

IMHO I think Bond is harder but good preparation, on the day the comprehensions are easier than Bond but time pressure is an issue.

What level of Bond are you using? Drop back a level, you have plenty of time. Look at some alternative multiple choice English comprehensions. With multi-choice you don't have to think of an answer just choose the correct one. :)

The English paper may include a surprise section, in the past Bibliographies and Indexes have popped up. :)

Hard to find Reading style English multiple choice, look at NFER and e-papers English Tuition for You from this site.

Good luck.

Steve

PS AS this thread relates to Reading School English I will move it “homeâ€
mudskipper40

Post by mudskipper40 »

If it is Reading School you are aiming for, comprehension was a big part of the English paper this year. My son said there were several short passages with multiple choice questions rather than one long one. He did say that English was the hardest of the three papers (and his classmates who sat the test agreed), but didn't elaborate on which part in particular. We'd only done one English and Maths practice paper, really just to check there were no gaping holes, as they are subjects he covers at school, so we'd concentrated our efforts on the reasoning which was new. He did say there was nothing in the English or Maths papers they hadn't covered at his (state) school, but if it's an area where your son struggles it's probably worth some extra practice.

Good luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now