Advice on inconsitant results

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gilcrist

Advice on inconsistent results

Post by gilcrist »

Hi from Bucks,

We received my son's 11+ results on Friday. They were, Test 1: 112 Test 2: 118. On test 1 he missed a section of I think seven questions, only realised his mistake at the last minute and guessed the answers.

His head teacher will suppport him strongly at appeal but I wonder how the 112 score will effect his appeal or do the appeal's committee only look at the higher of the two scores as if he had passed?

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Kind regards.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi gilcrist

The panel will consider both scores, and try to decide which score is most representative of your son's ability.

If they believe that the score of 118 is the most representative, they will then be seeking to understand whether that score in turn also does not reflect his academic ability, based on the evidence you provide. If you have any mitigating circumstances, the panel will be trying to assess if they could account for the 3 missing marks.

The good news is that the marks were going in the right direction - 112 - 118 - ???. If there had been a third test ...

Sally-Anne
gilcrist

Academic evidence

Post by gilcrist »

Hi Sally-Anne,

We have our son's appeal very shortly and foolishly I have only now found out about the comments he has been getting in his exercise books for Maths, Literacy and Science. The comments for Maths and Science are very good and bordering on very good but for literacy there are some good comments but also ones such as 'could have used more adjectives' , 'could have written more' etc etc. It is clear to me that he has not been making enough effort here and he tells me that he doesn't find it interesting. I am therefore wondering if I should take all or some of these exercise books to the appeal or can I just rely on his SATS scores and predicted scores, which are from his interim assessment, Autumn term 2008:

Level at Y5, Current level, Target end of year 6

Reading 5C 5B 5A

Writing 5C 5C 5A

Maths 5C 5B 5A

Science 4B 5B 5B

We have a subsequent letter from his class teacher supporting his appeal and again predicting high 5s.

Please may I pm you on another matter which is too sensitive to air in public?

Many thanks yet again.

Gilcrist.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi gilcrist

In my earlier reply I should have mentioned that the missing 7 questions are worth mentioning to the panel. Children do sometimes rush the paper, and make a silly mistake like this.

It is always tricky when one schoolbook for a core subject is not quite up to scratch. If all the other academic evidence is very strong and you have some good school reports, then leave the books out. You are not under any obligation to submit evidence that might harm your case, and the panel will probably be happy not to have to look at them!

I am happy for you to PM me about the other matter - thank you for asking before doing so.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

for literacy there are some good comments but also ones such as 'could have used more adjectives' , 'could have written more' etc etc. It is clear to me that he has not been making enough effort here
If the adverse comments all relate to effort, I wouldn't necessarily rule out showing this book. Panels tend to be much more interested in academic potential.

You could say to the panel - provided it fits the facts - "I'm showing you his books, warts and all. Even in English, where he hasn't put in enough effort, I think you will see evidence of his ability and potential."
Etienne
gilcrist

Post by gilcrist »

Hi Sally-Anne and Etienne,

Thank you both so much for your advice. We showed the English book but in the end decided not to flag it up. The Panel spent very little time looking at Son's excercise books.

Sally-Anne, regarding the strange HT prediction, the panel found it somewhat amusing and the LA Rep said he was a very experienced HT.

Anyway, very glad to say that the appeal was successful.

Kind regards.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

well done gilchrist
Bouga
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news - well done.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So very pleased for you, gilcrist.

Thanks for letting us know.