how to interpret school rankings and HT assessments

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worriedmum1

Post by worriedmum1 »

Hi, My daughter was not rated by school as suitable for grammar and we have just received the school infor, which is as follows:

51 children eligible, 46 took test. School above average for Bucks with 79.5% of children achieving Level 4's compared with Bucks average of 76.8%. At Level 5 differential increases steeply - 36% achieved 3 Level 5's last year as opposed to 26.1% in Bucks overall. It is acknowledged within school that compared to last year my child's year group is 'exceptionally able'. HT positively recommended 13 children with scores as follows: (attititude first, academic ability second)
1:1 - 1
1:2 - 0
1:3 - 0
2:1 - 3
2:2 - 9

All passed.

Children in the shaded area (recommended with reservations) as follows:
Overall no: 7

2:3 - 1 (passed)
3:2 - 2 (1 passed)
3:3 - 4 (1 passed)
4's - unranked like my child - 3 passed out of 25

Does anyone think Head was overly conservative with predictions? I am so worried about how panel with view the 4 ranking of my child - hardly anyone I have spoken to from other schools has a non existent ranking like this. School has also been positively unhelpful in every respect including further comments or statements about my child. We have predicted Level 5's in English and Science and 4A in Maths (although a private assessment found her to be a 5B) and achieved scores of 117 and 115. We are also having an ed psch assessment done to counteract the terrible experience with school.
Any feedback so gratefully accepted.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear worriedmum1

Are you really presenting the information backwards? :lol:

A 2:1 means a "2" recommendation for academic potential, and a "1" for attitude.

Please check the example given in Sally-Anne's sticky.
Etienne
worriedmum1

Post by worriedmum1 »

Whoops - ok here goes.

1:1 (1-1)
2:1 (0-0)
3:1 (0-0)
1:2 (3-3)
2:2 (9-9)
3:2 (1-1)
3:3 (4-1)
4's - 25 (3)

46 children completed test out of 51 in Year Group.
Feedback please!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The head has been incredibly accurate with the "1s" and "2s".

I agree that it looks to be on the cautious side. I suspect that in most other schools some of the "3s" and "4s" would have been in a higher category.

Just my view.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now