Objections to admissions criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
C. J.

Objections to admissions criteria

Post by C. J. »

Anybody know? If a school has had part of its admissions criteria objected to, are they protected from further objections on those issues in the next years? Or, are they in fact protected from other objections to all parts of their admissions criteria? I half remember reading something about this but can't remember where, nor can I seem to 'google' it. And it's driving me nuts.
WP

Re: Objections to admissions criteria

Post by WP »

C. J. wrote:Anybody know? If a school has had part of its admissions criteria objected to, are they protected from further objections on those issues in the next years? Or, are they in fact protected from other objections to all parts of their admissions criteria?
No, the adjudicator can protect their changes for up to three years, and school can't change what has been protected, but there's no prohibition on further objections. On the other hand, adjudicators are unlikely to accept claims that arrangements imposed or checked by another adjudicator are unlawful. It would look bad. Also, the Admissions Code has been revised, and no longer includes the paragraphs criticising sibling criteria at partially selective schools.
watmum

Post by watmum »

WP wrote:Also, the Admissions Code has been revised, and no longer includes the paragraphs criticising sibling criteria at partially selective schools.
WP, can you post a link to the revised admissions code, if it is not too much bother ? many thanks,
WP

Post by WP »

watmum wrote:
WP wrote:Also, the Admissions Code has been revised, and no longer includes the paragraphs criticising sibling criteria at partially selective schools.
WP, can you post a link to the revised admissions code, if it is not too much bother ? many thanks,
http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/sacode/ has all the versions of the Admissions Code and the Appeals Code. Second link on the right.
watmum

Post by watmum »

Cheers WP! that was quick, you must eat brekkie whilst seated on the PC!
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

WP wrote:"No, the adjudicator can protect their changes for up to three years, and school can't change what has been protected, but there's no prohibition on further objections."

Thanks WP, I am joining your fan club. Would you by any chance have a link to where this is spelled out?
WP

Post by WP »

Guidance for local authorities, schools and admission forums on the Schools Adjudicator's site:
What about next year?
If the adjudicator upholds an objection, part of the decision will stipulate how long the changes made to the arrangements must be 'protected' for - either one, two, or three school years (ie the admission authority cannot revert back to using the original arrangements until after the prescribed period has ended).
If the admission authority (including a foundation or VA school) wish to modify protected arrangements, they have to apply for the adjudicator's approval. There's no limitation on objections to protected arrangements either there or in the Admissions Code.

The 2003 Admissions Code (A.18) said that an objection would not be considered if it was substantially the same as one decided in the previous year. That clause appears to be missing from the 2007 and 2009 versions. Even so, such an objection would be unlikely to succeed.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Hi, sorry, back on this again,.

With regard to feeling safeguarded against future objections, could a school interpret this: 7.2 "Experience of the adjudication process has shown that, under the existing system,
the Adjudicator can rule out unfair admission criteria, only for them to reinstated
by the admission authority in the next year. This undermines the Adjudicator and
can lead to repeat objections being made in successive years. Enabling the
Adjudicator or Secretary of State to make decisions binding for a longer period
and to prevent further change or objections during that time, supports the
government’s aim to ensure that admission arrangements are fair, clear and
objective and in parents’ best interests." from this: EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM TO
THE SCHOOL ADMISSIONS (ALTERATION AND VARIATION OF, AND
OBJECTIONS TO, ARRANGEMENTS)(ENGLAND) REGULATIONS 2007
2007 No. 496 to mean that so long as they don't touch arrangements laid down by an adjudicator they are safe from objections to any of their criteria, not just the ones determined upon in the adjudication?

Apologies for repeating my earlier question and WP's answer did confirm my own understanding - however it still seems to be an issue for the school s - as far as I can make out!
WP

Post by WP »

Hmm, it does say "prevent further change or objections during that time", but the relevant parts of the legislation (Section 88L of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998, inserted by section 151 of the Education and Skills Act 2008) and regulations (Section 33 of the The School Admissions (Admission Arrangements) (England) Regulations 2008, which revoke the 2007 regs), seem concerned only with limiting change by the admission authority. Paragraph 88H(5) of the Act allows for the regs to limit objections, but it seems not to be used at all in the regs, not just related to this situation.

So I think objections are theoretically possible, and adjudicators are not bound by previous adjudications, but I would expect that in practice they would be unlikely to contradict each other unless an objector raised something new.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

WP wrote: So I think objections are theoretically possible, and adjudicators are not bound by previous adjudications, but I would expect that in practice they would be unlikely to contradict each other unless an objector raised something new.
I think it may be more that there seems to be a feeling that if the criteria imposed by an adjudicator are not interfered with (by applying for a variation as a result of a major change), then they are safe from objections to other aspects of their criteria (such as academic selection).

I thought, as your quotation earlier indicated that only the changes an adjudicator made were protected?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now