What levels would you expect the following child to achieve at end of
year 9:

Ks2 results

Science - 94%
Maths - 99%
English - 90%

Recognised as g&t

Top set for all subjects

Received a letter after year 7 CATs saying they had achieved outstanding scores on one or more papers

Only asking because the ones predicted seem to be at odds with those expected. Many thanks for help
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would expect:

Level 7 English and Science, level 8 in Maths

Other subjects can't really be predicted but at least level 6.
strawb

Post by strawb »

Thanks Guest55 - I really appreciate your responses.

Actual predictions were:

Maths 7c
Science 7b
English 6b

Any idea why they would be lower than expected?
If one of the CATs papers was lower than expected wouldn't this affect the Science as well as the Maths and English? Apparently 7b was the highest grade awarded in Science, but higher were awarded in Maths and English? It's all a mystery to me!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm a Maths teacher in a GS - we don't use CATs - targets are set on FFT (Fischer Family Trust) predictions.

An able student should make two levels of progress in Science and English - in Maths we have level 8 and I'd expect a level 5a to make this target!
strawb

Post by strawb »

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I guess it's the actual level achieved that matters and not the prediction - I'm sure she'll do just fine!
11plusaddict

Post by 11plusaddict »

Hi, Wondered if i could just ask anyone a question - sorry if this is slightly off the topic but didnt want to start a new thread. My son is also in Year 9 at GS but now the SATs are no more he has been doing GCSE style papers in science. He also has to choose his options in the coming weeks. He acheived all level 5's at KS2 (just). and is really enjoying science at the moment. He is working at 6B in English, a 7 in maths (but no sub level given) and his 3 science marks were b-, b and b+. Is this where he should be and is Triple science a viable option. Thank You
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The advice is that anyone with a KS3 level 6 or better should consider triple science - many GS automatically expect pupils to take all three.
11plusaddict

Post by 11plusaddict »

Thank you guest55 but is a b- b and b+ equivalent to level 6? Sorry for my ignorance
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No idea - it's not a standard measure and is probably something specific to that school.

Your best bet is to ask them the level your child is working at - I would expect virtually all children at a GS to be capable of triple science.
Road Runner

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Strawberry

To be honest I think its all a bit confusing. My ds also got level 5's in yr 6 SATS and yet at the end of last year in year 8 was predicted(for ks3) 6b English( but already was at 6c) Maths 6a(already at 6c) and science 7c(was at level 6c and b's). We are expecting his report this week with newly achieved levels and he knows he is already at level 7 for Maths now

Basically he is set to exceed all those predicted which is great but why put them as low in the first place??

Baffled