Does anyone finish VR papers?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dorset Parent

Does anyone finish VR papers?

Post by Dorset Parent »

Dear All

Despite my daughter improving her technique and timing, she has never finished a test VR paper. I know which questions she is better/quicker at and have advised her to follow a technique where she gets the most done that she can do, but still it is never possible for her to complete 85 questions. She takes her test on Sat and I am happy that she has improved significantly from what she was a few months ago, and she is feeling positive about it. She is doing the best she can.

However I am curious about you others, as I sadly haven't got any friends whose children are taking the test so I can't ask at the school gates. Do your children manage to complete 85 questions? The most she has answered is 75 - that was this Sat and was her personal best in timing and score.

I am opening myself up to feeling worse here as you may all respond with a "Yes they manage to complete them all". Please phrase your answers tactfully, bearing in mind that the test is very soon!

I have read a thread about timing in the maths section, but wanted to raise the issue here as VR is the most difficult one for her timing-wise.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dorset Parent

Is the REAL test NFER, 80 questions in 50 minutes? Are you using the shop bought NFER 85 questions in 50 minutes?

If so....the last 5 questions do not count....I ALWAYS cross off the last 5 and get the child to complete them as part of their daily/weekly practice.

Therefore your child is not doing too bad 75 out of 80!

Patricia
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Hi Dorset Parent,

I don't know what the competition is like in Dorset. In my area it is pretty fierce. :shock: Our VR paper is 85 questions in 50mins, and my son can complete the paper in time - HOWEVER I would say that if your daughter is completing 75 questions and getting only a few wrong then she is still in with a very good chance. My eldest son who passed a few years ago now (currently in year 10) said he was horrified when kids started putting down their pens rather smuggly after 35 - 40 mins...however, he didn't finish in time and had to guess the last 5 questions. He did however achieve a high level of accuracy on the questions he did answer, which was clearly better than some of the kids who finished the paper but didn't get as many right.

I don't know if your paper is the Nfer paper - but if so, I'd advise your daughter to skip the long questions that are only worth one point and come back to them at the end if she has time. If she doesn't have time she will only have lost one point, and may have used the time better by answering five or six other questions correctly rather than labouring over one question.

When my son told me he'd guessed the last five questions and not completed the paper I felt my heart sink - especially when other kids came out of the test saying, 'oooh it was easy!' but then I thought - well, he's done his best and I can't ask for more than that. As it happened he was the only child in his school who passed - so take heart. If her accuracy is good and her speed has improved then she'll do well. I wish her (and you) every blessing.
usa

Post by usa »

Dear DP
Your daughter sounds as if she might just be reaching her peak now, ie. she is doing the best she has ever done - this is good news. She sounds fresh and raring to go and she might just peak on the day, which will be wonderful. I would however, read Patricia's tips which were written last month, which is on this site. I honestly do believe, too, that your daughter should, when she gets to that last minute, just to zip down the ones she has not done, and guess at an answer - do not leave any slot blank. If the Maths is also M/C, do the same here - you never know it might gain her an extra point. Yes my son did used to finish his test papers, but sometimes, his 'stupid, unreal' answers used to make my hair stand up on end. In his case, he went for quantity and not quality. Which section needs more practise? Let us know - someone may be able to help out.
USA
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dorset Parent

Follows the link to my tips for a forthcoming test, originally posted in the Bucks section.[ it refers to NFER VR] may be of some help....

Good Luck

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=830

Patricia
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Thanks everyone for your messages. All we are told is that it is an NFER test and it is 50 minutes. I assumed it would be 85 questions, as we were told to look at the shop tests. It would be brilliant if there were 80 questions! Why the mystery about everying? Her best score was 69 - on Sat. The ones that take the time up are codes, even though she is quite good at those, but she knows to do those last and she does miss out the 2 long questions that are several statements but only get one mark. USA - I agree with you and feel she may be peaking now. I'm doing the short IPA 6 minute tests each day now, and she's even improved on those in the last week! The competition is fierce so I am realistic about things. She has been improving at maths in the last weeks, but that is her weakest area.

Having looked at the post above - Herts test 100 questions in 45 minutes, I feel I should not be complaining!
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Dorset Parent,

Yes the Herts VR test is quite tough, and our kids have a separate 50 question maths paper to contend with too :shock: Not clear do you have seperate maths too?

Suggested strategy of leaving time consuming ones until the end is a good idea, remember if your daughter finds it difficult then so will everyone else. We advised our daughter to put a pencil ring around the question numbers that were missed to save time searching for them at the end. My daughter didn't finish her VR papers - managed 94/100.

Best of luck

HP
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

HP - Your daughter did very well. As well as VR they have a 50 min maths, 45 minutes English and 35 mins English essay. The level of the maths seems so much above what she is learning at school. All the papers are taken on the same morning, with short breaks between each one. It seems so much.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now