Preparing the presentation

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
overpeck

Preparing the presentation

Post by overpeck »

(I think it's better to have a new thread, overpeck, in case you have any further points - Etienne)

Dear Lilly

Wow thanks for your detailed speech/presentation. I am sure it will be helpful to all going through this ordeal. I do hope you get the required result. I am in the process of writing our presentation and have lots of ideas in my head but not quite sure how to put it across. Lots of crossings out at the moment. My daughter tells me this is good. Her English teacher says the more crossing out in rough book the better. Our older daughter is already at the GS. I was unsure whether to mention that during the home tutoring their scores were comparable and my older daughter passed Berks exam 4 years ago with 122 and my youngest daughter scored 107. Youngest daughters academic achievements at school have been good. Her HT is in full support of our appeal. She is predicted 5' s for maths, English and science her Y5 CATS scores were V 141 NV 123 and Quantative 125. Any comments from Etienne or Sally-Anne would be appreciated. Hope you dont mind me tagging on to this thread Lily
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Personally I would play down the home tutoring -

Focus on academic evidence - NC levels and CATs -
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks Guest 55 I will take note of your comments
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear overpeck

The "rule" is:

Don't mention home tutoring (unless asked).

Don't mention siblings (unless asked, or unless it's to do with extenuating circumstances).

Never say "S/he has done better than the older sibling" (because it's not something the panel can give any weight to).
Etienne
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Dear Etienne thanks for your comments I have taken note of these as well as Guest55
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I am still puzzling over what to put in our speech. Should I highlight the fact that she has passed an independent school scholarship exam in the appeal, which she only took because of the 11+ result. We felt we should have backup in the event our appeal is unsuccessful (although we are not in a position to consider private education at secondary school). Is this further evidence of above average academic ability.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

overpeck wrote:I am still puzzling over what to put in our speech. Should I highlight the fact that she has passed an independent school scholarship exam in the appeal, which she only took because of the 11+ result. We felt we should have backup in the event our appeal is unsuccessful (although we are not in a position to consider private education at secondary school). Is this further evidence of above average academic ability.
Different private schools set different pass levels for a scholarship, and it would be very difficult for the panel to be able to judge how hard it was in comparison to the 11+.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Difficult to say, but you could mention it briefly if it's a prestigious school. I agree with Capers - it's unlikely to carry any weight if it cannot be shown what the standard corresponds to (e.g. 90th percentile).

Ideally I think you need to try and show not just above average ability, but well-above average ability.
Etienne
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks for your comments Etienne and capers 123

I was only going to mention academic scholarship in passing.

I have already sent evidence of supportive letter from HT
SAT s predictions of three level 5's
CATS scores Y5 verbal 141 NPR 99
quantative 125 NPR 95
non-verbal 123 NPR 94

y4 verbal 134 NPR 99
quantative 124 NPR 94
non-verbal 140 NPR 99

Reading age assessment administered by school age 9.10 reading age 13.02

Is this sufficient academic evidence? I have read somewhere that CAT scores can not be fully trusted.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have read somewhere that CAT scores can not be fully trusted.
I would put it very differently!

A CAT VR of 121 does not equate with an 11+ score of 121 because they are standardised differently.

Nevertheless, I think a panel would find CAT scores very useful as part of the overall evidence - especially as most of the other evidence is going to be curriculum-based and correlates even less well with 11+ scores!

Your academic evidence so far looks good to me.

We don't yet know:
what the two 11+ scores were.
whether good level 5s are expected (on the basis of a recent report or year 5 optional SATs).
what the HTR is, and how it fits with the school's other HTRs.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now