Important factors in choosing a school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Important factors in choosing a school

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have a few factors which I judge as important in choosing a school but may be I'm not seeing something, so if I need to add or take away from my list then please advise. Some may not agree with my top criteria but they're important to me based on the type of child I have. Here is my list:

Academic
Size of school
Location (Transport links)
Location (Tranquil or hectic)

I have looked at pastoral, extra curricular and fees and they are all roughly the same so am not factoring them in at present. Is there anything else I can think of?
Thea

Post by Thea »

Staff turnover?
New head or longstanding?
IB or A level?
Links with other (girls') schools?
Financial stability/endowments? :lol:
Age/state of building and facilities (will they expect you to cough up for a new swimming pool or science block any time soon?)
Parent population? (maseratis and villas in mustique/volvos and mortgages?
Sibling policy?
Plans to go co-ed?
Participation in community projects?
School trips?

maybe not relvant - just brainstorming while waiting for my lunch to cool.... :lol:
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

One of the schools I'm looking at has set up an academy and I wonder if its a good thing for the school. The other two have not. I worry about how many resources this independent school will be putting into this academy especially as it will be in the early stages when DS starts. If I chose an independent or state school I'd want the teachers and governors to be only focussing on their school, and not spreading their teaching resources far and wide. I expect all schools to be of service to the community but if I have a choice between one thats in partnership with an academy and one that is not, should I choose the one that is not?
solimum

Post by solimum »

Have replied at length on the other thread, but I would also look for evidence of "quirkiness" being tolerated or even encouraged, such as unusual clubs driven by the enthusiasm of staff or pupils? Do they trust one of the younger pupils to show parents round? Do the pupils organise charity cake sales or puzzle magazines on their own initiative? Does the Parents' Association organise the sorts of events you might like to attend? Do the ex-pupils become useful members of society, or are they all lawyers & politicians??? :lol:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Other things to consider:-

Curriculum GCSE variety/choices and boards (coursework or exams)
ICGSEs
Do they take some GCSEs early
When do they start the GCSE/IGCSE course (Y8 or Y9)
How many GCSE subjects?
Separate Sciences?
Do they offer AS alternative in some subjects. (e.g ICT)
Number of As/A*s required for 6th form entry
Choice of A Levels at 6th Form
Subject Streaming
What PCs and versions of Microsoft SW do they have (many independent schools are way behind Office 2007)?
Do they have a good school web site with lots of up to date information for parents?
Do they have a secure parent portal so that parents can view the sylabus and course marks etc.?
Can parents communicate by email with staff and get prompt responses?
What does the school do regarding helping students plan their time effectively?
What does the school do regarding music and music lessons? Are the lessons in school?
Does the school have officer cadet training and are pupils mandated to attend? What alternatives?
What does the school do regarding effective work placements?
What school trips and how much? Do they do world challenge?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Thea and Ken, but how do I ask all these questions without coming across as OTT! :? :lol:
Thea

Post by Thea »

LOL - when we we to look @ schools we raked our brains trying to think of 'intelligent' questions to ask, and were abit feeblw in that respect - wish I 'd had some of these up my sleeve :D ow everyone readif this forum will come out woth these and the heads will be rather startled. I'd just say if any of them are relevant and are notr already expressly referred to in the literature or presentation...
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think solimum mentioned the ethos of the school, but how do I know what that is? They all pretty much say the same thing in their aims and ethos sections. :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Talk to the pupils you can learn all you need to know!!

Also watch how staff talk to the pupils that also tells me a lot -
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Add to criteria:

leaver destinations (but beyond just university - do they have some kind of old boys register you can look at which shows the sorts of career areas the boys have moved into)

how to detect the true ethos of a school - haven't a clue really but here are some initial thoughts:

watch some sporting events
watch some lessons which involve pupil discussion
go to a parents' social event
read some essays pupils have written about themselves
talk to some pupils about their thoughts about the school, their friends, the world, what they want to do in life etc etc
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now