Former Tiffins Heads New School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

troyprey

Former Tiffins Heads New School

Post by troyprey »

Just read in the Kentish Express Online that the Folkestone Academy" follows robust financial procedures"

http://www.kentishexpress.co.uk/kol08/a ... e_id=56445

So, there's no danger of him repeating his "success" there.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Tiffin Head was part of a team called the Governing Body who had overall control of the finances. The Head is not wholly responsible for the current situation at Tiffin. The responsibility is shared entirely equally among the members of the Governing Body. It is wholly unacceptable to suggest otherwise.

yoyo123 (Forum Moderator)
tiffininsider

Post by tiffininsider »

yoyo123 wrote:The Tiffin Head was part of a team called the Governing Body who had overall control of the finances. The Head is not wholly responsible for the current situation at Tiffin. The responsibility is shared entirely equally among the members of the Governing Body. It is wholly unacceptable to suggest otherwise.
This is a re-post. My first post was deleted by a moderator because I dared to refer to the mighty Heslop by one of his nicknames.

What I basically said (and I am hope I am allowed to post this!) was that I felt that he was able to lead the governors into making whatever decision he wanted and that they were there just to rubberstamp his wishes (*initially*).

When he first arrived he was like the new messiah / goldenboy that Tiffin had long needed and they did whatever he wanted.

P.S. I am shocked at the censorship and if this happens again, I will be starting my own forum elsewhere on the internet.
allegra

Post by allegra »

tiffininsider, you're obviously very angry - lots of parents I've spoken to are too, as are some of the boys - but even if you are right about the governing body, by getting all the threads locked, you're not helping all those parents and prospective parents trying to fill in the gaps and work out where the school is heading. Real information is valuable.
veryconfusedmum

Post by veryconfusedmum »

If the unlikely event that my son is offered a place next week....is this still a great school?
Southby

Post by Southby »

It has some superb etched glass doors. Very expensive I would think.
Seriously though, if your son thrives in an academic atmosphere and you're after the full grammar school environment, it probably will be right for you (both).

Only time will tell what the outcome of the recent debacle will be.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Very confused mum - YES!
Best Regards,
Thea
allegra

Post by allegra »

veryconfusedmum, yes i think Tiffin is still a very good school, as long as you accept that no school is perfect. At first I really didn't care for the old-fashioned grammar school feel of the place, although Mr Heslop has been credited with modernising it so I can't imagine what it was like before, however some people really like that aspect of the school, particularly if they or other family members went there. I've got used to it though and what I like about the school are the very enthusiastic and talented boys and the friendly attitude of the staff towards them. Even the head used to stop and chat to them in the corridors and I'm not sure how common that is at secondary school. They are given the freedom to perform and try things out (whether it's drama, singing or bird watching...) and the atmosphere is encouraging and supportive. The sixth form boys that I know have turned out confident without being arrogant and I think the school must take some of the credit for that. Hopefully this ethos won't change with a new head.
geling

Post by geling »

To veryconfusedmum: Have you got the offer yet? If indeed you have got the offer from Tiffin School, please don't cry.... I 100% agree with Allegra's post: Tiffin is still a great school as long as you accept one rule: no school is perfect. ( My DS has been there for a year and the most important thing is that he is very happy everyday! ) Don't be put off by its "frenzied" media attention recently. In my point of view that Tiffin is still worth going.