Oundle school, sevenoaks school Kent, Christs Hospital surr

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bamidele07

Oundle school, sevenoaks school Kent, Christs Hospital surr

Post by bamidele07 »

Hi there

Any parents out there that has information on any of these schools. Both negative and positive comments welcome. Trying to make a decision one which one would suit my DD. However i need any information on any of these schools.

Thanks

Dee DEE
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Oundle school is obviously quite a distance from the other two. What is your criteria and were these the schools that were recommended to you?
bamidele07

Post by bamidele07 »

Thanks TIPSY for your prompt response. Actually Sevenoaks and Oundle were recommended and a one of my DDs friend attends Christ hospital. i am actually looking for a good boarding school as we are currently abroad. We have visited all these schools. However i need information from someone who knows these schools.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

From what I have heard, Christ's Hospital is not one that should be on your list if you can afford one of the other two. Apart from anything else you would probably be the only parent in the school paying full fees, which would be a bit galling. If you are interested in schools in Sussex, Lancing, Roedean and Brighton College are all excellent in different ways.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you are abroad then I would seriously consider a full boarding school or a school as close to full boarding as possible. My sons are at full boarding schools and I can tell you that for boarding to be good then the majority of the school has to board. Being abroad and not knowing the children or families well, full boarding is better because your child could go home with a day child without you knowing their family.

I think Oundle is a great school but Sevenoaks is logistically better to get to because it is fairly close to Gatwick but more children are day at that school. I certainly wouldn't look into Christ's Hospital and its unlikely your daughter would get a place as they prioritise the most needy cases. Other coed schools to look at could be Bradfield and Wellington College and Stowe school, all of which are predominantly boarding. Girls schools would be Rodean and Downe House.
bamidele07

Post by bamidele07 »

many thanks KES parent for your reply. Brighton college is a bit far from where my DDs would be Guardian live. One lives in Kent and the other in peterborough. DD seems to like Oundle but the school populaion put me off. DDs friend goes to christ hospital and that is the attraction for DD. However i am more concerned about the pastoral care and where DD will thrive and be happy of course the academic standard of the school is also an important factor.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you have a guardian in Peterborough then I would say choose Oundle. It is a fantastic school with probably the best extra-curricular opportunities I've seen - geography trips to antartic, science department working alongside Cambridge Uni. Academically it is also great, and Oundle is such a beautiful town.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have pm'd you.
bamidele07

Post by bamidele07 »

thanks TIPSY for the response. The reason why we considered Christs hospital is because it is fulll Boarding and i prefer a co ed school. I have also looked at seven oaks and the fact that there are more day student than boarding put me off. i think oundle has more boarders than day students, i may be wrong but will go back and check their website. DDs friend in Christs hospital comes from a wealthy home, but her parents put her there because it is full boarding, she seems to like the school thou.
bamidele07

Post by bamidele07 »

Thanks TIPSy for the imformation..Will have a read