appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kathryn

appeals

Post by Kathryn »

I am writing an appeal letter as my son has not passed his eleven plus. I have lots of good results for him from school but are there certain words or phrases that the selection committee look for?

Post by Guest »

Hi Kathryn, I went throught the same last year - we were told to keep it to 1 A4 piece of paper and not to waffle. We just stressed his success throughout his school life, he was a prefect for his year band, he had constantly been in the top set throughout his school life (6 sets in his year), had an excellent attendance record, had acheived low level 5's at the end of year 5 and was predicted all level 5's for year 6, and took part in all aspects of school life. His teachers selected some books for me to take with me and had even gone to the trouble of sticking post it papers on all the pages they thought highlighted his capabilites. We also said that he felt enormous 'pressure' to pass as he so wanted a particluar school - although we didnt mention which one as this is irrelavent at this appeal. A major factor i believe is VERY strong support from the school which luckily he had. How far away was your child? The further away the more evidence you need. My honest opinion was the wait for the appeal (end January) was horrendous but once actually there they were human and did their very best to make you fell at ease and i came away feeling that whatever the outcome i had been given a 'fair' hearing. This is only my experience but i hope it helps.

Good Luck

Sam
Louise

Post by Louise »

You will need the headteacher to write a letter supporting your appeal, get them to write that they strongly recommend your child has the ability to do well at a grammar school. My son missed the mark - we had the results back in october and have to wait until march to appeal - it's an awful time. Good luck.