Am I Overdoing it a bit in final days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newbie but stressed

Am I Overdoing it a bit in final days

Post by Newbie but stressed »

My daughter took her final practice exam yesterday and seemed to be very positive and said it was fine. She finished with about 10 minutes to go to check over her work and any type Z questions.

I hope the real test is as good ( but somehow I doubt it)

anyway. I still am giving her a paper each night , the tutor has given her three to complete so it's like I've got all these papers now which I think she should complete, I feel I'm working her too hard.

I didn't give her a test paper last night because of the practise paper taken yesterday.

I have about 6 Papers left (the tutors epapers 11 and 12) plus her own tutor has been feeding her home work papers. Arrrgggh!!

Am I overdoing this abit or is a paper each night in the final few days normal ????

I may just skip the whole papers and cover the types I think she will struggle with.

nightmare,,,

NBS
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Newbie but stressed,

You know your child best so go with your gut instinct.

We went for fun sessions in the final week, picking out questions that we could do in our heads together as a race, surprising how many times I came second.

For us the last week was fun and easy, all about building confidence. We also went through the technique book sat in the car ( no distractions ) outside school extra early talking about the techniques we had learnt and developed.

Also lots of praise and encouragement about how proud I was with the whole years work and that whatever happened next we had learnt the skills of studying and confidence that would bring success whichever school we were allocated.

I felt we were at about our peak ( we had peaked twice before and then had collapses in scores and confidence ) so it was about keeping the level up and not pushing for a higher level and risking a disaster.

Good luck.

stevew61
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Newbie but stressed,

When is your test?

I home tutored my daugher and admit the timetable we followed was rigorous at times. However, we didn't do any papers or work the day before her test and only covered technique and revised very briefly her problem areas 2 days before.

I felt it was better to end practising with her feeling that her last practise paper was good rather than risk a bad practise paper (and believe me we had a good few of those) just before the real thing which would undermine her confidence.

Hope this helps and good luck

HP
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

Hi

Thanks for the replies. very helpful

First REAL test is Tuesday 28th, second test 5th Dec, so we got a few days.

She has her last tutor session tonight... Thank God!!

Her Birthday is Sunday so we won't do anything that day.. so really Tomorrow and Monday..

2 days to cover about 6 papers... I'll just go through the tricky ones I think and hope for the best...

NBS
Louise

Post by Louise »

I wouldn't do too much in the last few days what they don't know now is not going to make too much difference. My daughter is sitting her exam on 5th December and to be honest I have probably been too relaxed, we haven't done any practice papers this week, last tutor session this weekend and that's it. I don't really want to stress her out in the last few days because she has worked hard since the beginning of the year, but if you want to do extra papers then do what you feel comfortable with.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Newbie

With three days to go before the first test, there is plenty of time to fit in another practice paper, then you have seven days before the second test. Again this is plenty of time to complete another set of papers.

We tend to find that if a student is achieving 80 per cent or above on 80 question papers covering all 21 types then it is now a case of fine tuning.

Make sure she is marking the papers correctly.

Some parents have been to us recently and said that the children are not allowed to write on the question papers. So, the first thing she needs to do when she starts a test is write out a neat alphabet in bold type on the rough paper, that should be provided, so that she can work through the coding questions quickly.

If any student is anxious about timing a little trick seems to work. Get them to sit still and quietly for 37.5 seconds (the average time for each question), they will soon realise how long this is. Tell them for each question they finish in less than 37.5 seconds then they are saving time.

For a diversion from pen and paper exercises, try the free demos for CD1 and CD3 in the CD section.

Good Luck

Mike
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

Hi

thanks again for the replies. We are marking the papers correctly and she get exactly 50 Minutes to complete (no More). We use your "the tutors" papers and IPS and Tutors own.
all of these cover the 21 types so she is well covered.

I'll give her one paper Saturday, then Monday (quick revision)

Then off to bed early for a good sleep.

After the first paper I'll finish the rest over the week, 4 More after a few days rest.

so at least we will complete them over the week.

I notice Bucks all have the results and they seem to be picking the best Score of the two papers score with a pass of 121 +

Is the wirral the best score on one paper ? Ive read they come up with 236 or around this mysterious figure for pass.

Be interested to know if it's the best paper score or both..

NBS