Bucks appeals - 120, 114 - Attn: Rochelle

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Bucks appeals - 120, 114 - Attn: Rochelle

Post by Etienne »

Anonymous wrote:Dear Etienne, please can you advise me on what to do. My son got 114 and 120 - Final Score 120. He has missed by 1 mark. From experience do you think we may get through on appeal. The only strong point that we may have at the appeal is that he couldn't hear very well till the age of 7 after having two ear operations as the first was unsuccessful and hence missing some crucial work at school such as phonetics etc.
Please reply.
Rochelle.
Dear Rochelle

With the very good score of 120, and the not so good score of 114, the appeal panel will have the dilemma of deciding which is the better indicator of your son's ability.

With the 120, you do have a chance of getting through an appeal, but I think it will depend largely on the strength of the academic case you can put forward.

You need to find out from the headteacher what academic evidence the school will be providing, and compare that with some of the things I have suggested in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

Go along to the headteacher with a checklist, e.g. Are there any CAT VR scores with very high percentiles? Will you be able to say that you support my son very strongly? etc. The more indicators of high ability, the better.

Regards
Etienne
Rochelle

Post by Rochelle »

Dear Etienne, thanks for your reply and advice. I will be speaking to the headteacher on Monday to get the ball rolling for appeal however if the headteacher believes that my child is not going to be suited at Grammar school can they refuse to make a comment on the appeal form.
Rochelle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Rochelle

I only ever once came across an in-county head who declined to put anything much on the form apart from his name. Parents argued successfully that there was a personality clash, and produced alternative evidence such as excellent routine work in exercise books. Exceptionally, the appeal was upheld! I cannot recall the scores now - they were probably close to 121.

If the school has relevant evidence, such as high CAT scores, I think it would be failing in its duty not to present it. Of course, getting a reluctant head to write with enthusiasm is less easy.

Out-county heads will sometimes decline to co-operate, especially if their local authority is hostile towards the 11+ and has instructed them not to get involved.
Etienne
Rochelle

Post by Rochelle »

Dear Etiennne
Thanks for your reply. I have woken up this morning with a very sickening feeling in my tum. I am in a dilemna as whether to appeal or not. I have dug through lots of paperwork and have found some evidence to support the appeal however am unsure whether it will carry any weight. My son suffered from severe glue ear when he was younger. He couldn't hear very well and hence this made his concentration very poor. He was labelled a "daydreamer" in his infant school. Luckily my husband and I realised that he wasn't lazy but actually had hearing problems. I have found his medical records evidencing two operations he had to rectify the problem. The first when he was 5 yrs and 4 mths whilst in Reception. Unfortunately his hearing detoriated badly again and his second operation after alot of pushing the doctors for a referral was when he was 7 yrs and 8 mths. The last operation was in the April of him being in Yr 3 at school. He has always been very academic in Maths but not so good in English. His reading level was poor as he missed out on phonetic work in the earlier years due to his hearing. However he has made academic progression throughout the last 3 years. I will check his predicted SATS scores with the head but I believe they are level 5 in Maths and 4 in English. I also found his last years CATS results where he got 108 overall...not sure about this result and whether it is a good or bad indicator.
Please can you give me any more advice and whether we have a strong case.
Rochelle
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Rochelle

My feeling is that with a score of 120 you really ought to try an appeal. It's too soon to say whether you have a strong case. We need to know what the headteacher thinks.

The hearing problems are not recent, but could help explain the predicted level 4 in English.

The overall 108 CAT score doesn't sound high enough, but please find out from the head what the three separate scores were and their percentiles. Also, are there any CAT scores from earlier years?

The predicted level 5 for Maths is encouraging. See if the head might be prepared to go as far as a 5a or 5b!

Do let us know how your meeting goes.

Good luck
Etienne
suki

appeals

Post by suki »

Dear Etienne, I have thinking about the dreaded results all night, tossing and turning.... Since my son got 120 in both tests, what realistic chances do we have during appeal in your opinion. I am sure the head will fully support the appeal however is there anything else that we need to specify.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear suki

There are appeals with 2x120 that do not succeed because the panel decides the child has peaked (i.e. in the light of all the evidence this is the very best he/she can do).

However, let me reassure you that the odds are very much in your favour if you have a good academic case. so you should try to stay positive.

Have you read:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
where I give some suggestions about what the ideal "indicators" would be? The more you have, the better!

Regards
Etienne
Rochelle

Post by Rochelle »

Dear Etienne
I have been to my child's school this morning to book an appointment to see the headteacher however was told that the headteacher would call me at home.....still waiting. My son was very withdrawn this weekend however he has set his heart on passing the Berks 11+ (fingers crossed).
We live on Bucks/Berks border so sat both tests. Bucks was 1st choice on the preference form. If he passes the Berks exam, will be still be able to go ahead with the appeal and also is it worth mentioning at the appeal that he passed the Berks but it was 2nd choice.
Rochelle

Post by Guest »

Dear Rochelle
I am in the same boat. Missed bucks by a few and waiting patiently for the Slough 11+ results. Fingers crossed. I don't know whether it is wise to mention if your child passes the slough test as the panel may not give any consideration to your child as they would have already secured a place at grammar even if it is your 2nd choice.
Goodluck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Rochelle

Yes, you can still go ahead with your Bucks appeal.

The view that will be taken of the Berks 11+ is that it is different, and that the two systems cannot be compared.

However, there is no reason why you shouldn't inform the panel of your success in Berkshire, while stressing that your first preference is Bucks. It won't do any harm and might even do a little bit of good!

Regards
Etienne