Test Day

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dorset Parent

Test Day

Post by Dorset Parent »

I've just come back from taking my daughter to her test. We listened to the radio on the way and didn't want to talk about what was to come - as if we had exhausted the topic. We laughed together on the walk towards the school as there was a traffic jam and I wondered how I would get home. She ran to catch up with a friend and then before I knew it she was saying goodbye.

But what struck me was seeing all those girls with their parents. All bright, young girls - still children yet on the way to moving on to another stage. So many girls just like my daughter. I was actually moved to tears on the way home in my car. And all those parents wanting the best for their daughters.
Busy Dad

Post by Busy Dad »

Hi Dorset Parent,

Ive been reading this forum for some time now and I must say I have gained some very useful infomation. I've read many of your posts and I too was in that que this morning!

How did your daughter find the exams overall?

Busy Dad
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

She said she found the Verbal Reasoning really hard and that the questions she was good at didn't appear (making 4 letter words from two different words in a sentence and putting words in a right order to get another word). She didn't finish and thinks she may have left out 30 questions!! I wasn't expecting that as she had been really improving at practice tests. Maths she found hard, but I knew she would. She finished but said she guessed quite a few answers. English comprehension was 2 pieces and she said the general English questions that she enjoyed in the NFER test papers at the end weren't there. The only thing she felt she had done well at and enjoyed was writing her essay! Did your daughter say that the VR paper was different from the NFER tests she had practised? I can't help but feel disappointed if this is the case.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dorset Parent

I am sure you are glad its all over. When will you Know the outcome?

The VR question can be answered by the fact that NFER will use questions from a set bank, but as you are only being tested for one paper, it cannot cover ALL the types. [ unlike Bucks, where we have 2 VR tests, which therefore has the capability of covering ALL types.]

Hence why most good publishers will try to cover all the types over two tests, hope this clarifies the situation.

Patricia
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Patricia - thanks for responding. We get to know on 1st March.

Still don't really understand about VR papers. She said there were 85 questions and the paper was 50 minutes. Yet the paper didn't include all the types in the shop bought test papers. Does that mean that the test she did had fewer types of question but more questions within each category? Seems strange - you would think they would stick to the broad range of categories. Are you saying that NFER write 2 papers covering all types of question for the regions that do 2 papers, and for the regions that do one paper, they just take one of those 2 papers rather than write a different one covering all question types?

Yes I am glad it's over.