KS1 SATs - practice papers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

KS1 SATs - practice papers

Post by Villagedad »

Hi everyone

My DS has his Key Stage 1 SATs coming up in May and we wanted to find some extra practice material for English Comprehension as this is his weakness (his Maths is fine).

He reads complex words/text really well but has poor recall afterwards, and often doesn't understand what it is saying...

If anyone knows where you can download short passages and stories with questions based on the text somewhere online that would be really appreciated as we are trying to get him to do one paper each day.

We have purchased KS1 SATs practice papers and downloaded some old SATs papers online, but obviously once they are done we need to find others.

Please PM me if probs with posting here.

A big thank you in advance :D
Villagedad
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Villagedad - there are no more new papers as KS1 'tests' are not set anymore - the levels are based on teacher assessment. Some schools will use the old papers (as I mentioned) but they are more likely to use the Assessing Pupils Progress writing grids to support teacher assessment.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Guest55 wrote:Villagedad - there are no more new papers as KS1 'tests' are not set anymore - the levels are based on teacher assessment. Some schools will use the old papers (as I mentioned) but they are more likely to use the Assessing Pupils Progress writing grids to support teacher assessment.
Thanks Guest55

I have sent you a PM as I was hoping to find an online source that lists short 2-3 para passages with questions based on those passages for my DS to work on, because as mentioned, he needs to practice on his understanding of the passages he reads as recall is not great..

He can read pages and pages of a book and decode words very well, but his teacher has advised it would be better for him to read less but understand what he has read.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can point me to this sort of material.
Villagedad
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As well as formal papers it will help a lot of you ask him questions as you read a book together ot you listen to him read his school reading book.

What do you think is going to happen?
Tell me what has happened so far in teh story?
Why did he do that do you tink?
What does that mean?
etc.

Make it into part of your reading and his comprehension of texts will soon develop.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Schools say don't do too much for KS1 as it is used as a baseline to get value added between KS1 and KS2.

I tried to do a paper with my DD last week but she said she had already done it at school. :wink: Maybe as part of the teacher assessment.

IMHO if they are happy, willing and able then a bit of extra work is a good thing. :lol:

steve
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if you google Sats past papers KS1 you will get lots of sites advertising papers for sale. Not sure if the will be different from teh opnes you have done though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are all available free on http://www.emaths.co.uk/learn.htm

I think it's OK to post this one as it's a site run by an AST.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:D

I've bookmarked that one thanks Guest55!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now