Waiting for allocation of places...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rax

Waiting for allocation of places...

Post by rax »

Hello - I'm new here! Have read your previous threads and wish I'd found this site sooner, as I have also been going through the whole selection process with my son.

What's driving me mad is not knowing whether he will be allocated a place or not :? . The sticking point is that he came in the top 310, but in the 300s, so not the highest of rankings (altho' am still really proud of him!), and we only put one grammar school on the form (because we considered the other one to be too far away). SO my worry is that the school of our choice could be full by the time they get down the list to him!

I keep hearing tantalising tales of friends of friends whose children came 320th and still got in, even one who was 378th! I'm an optimist, so naturally hope for the best - but am I just kidding myself?

Rax
shahreen

Post by shahreen »

hi there rax dont worry about it from what ihear crossleys gets filled up quicker than nhgs so hopefully fingers cropssed he shud get in, not long now bout 2 weeks let us know hw u get on am waiting my son came rank 301 put nhgs as first choice but dont know if he will get that one will keep in touch seeya take cre
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Rax

The waiting is tough! You didn't say which of the GS you wanted. Most of us are hoping for NHGS.

Good Luck :D
rax

Post by rax »

Thanks for your supportive comments! :D We are hoping for NHGS too, but had also heard that Crossleys fills up sooner. Someone also told me that some children do the test for more than one authority - eg Heckmondwike- which then frees up more places for those further down the rankings. Just hope that all the hearsay is true!
Twelve days to go... my son is not concerned at all, but I am even dreaming about the results now! But I'd rather it was that way round, cos I'd feel too guilty if the whole thing had given him nightmares! He objected to practising at home (no tutor, we practised at home from August onwards - didn't want an artificially-inflated result for him, as he will have to be able to keep up the pace once there) but took the actual test in his stride.
Apparently at one time they didn't tell you your result at all, just whether you'd got in or not, and I can't help thinking that that way would be less tortuous!
Rax
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm glad it's NH - You will be fine! 8)

All my nightmares centre around my online application. I really can't remember why I thought that was a good idea! :?
nervy

Post by nervy »

Hi Rax, nice to hear from someone else in Calderdale. Fingers crossed that you will be ok come the allocation day. We also have a strong preference for nhgs but I must admit that we put both schools down on our form. Fortunately my daughter finished high enough to get her first choice.

Again, good luck, let us know how you get on

Nervy
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Nervy,

How are you doing? Do you know when we will hear from the schools. Will that be March or later?
nervy

Post by nervy »

Hiya Mitasol

No I don't know when we will hear from them. I only know that transition day and the new families evening are in July.

I have plenty of questions like when can we apply for yellow buses, do they need to wear nhgs uniform for transition day etc etc.

Tbh I am still praying that I filled my caf form in correctly and didn't put the schools in reverse order or anything silly like that. I guess that I won't be truly happy unti 2 March when I have the letter in my hand!

I am now in full flow with my youngest - he's had a fair few tutor lessons now and I think he's doing ok but it's unnerving when I think about how many gears he will have to move up before December. Can't believe I'll be going through it all again.

Take care
Nervy
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

nervy wrote:put the schools in reverse order
Yep, that's one of my nightmare scenarios. :lol:
shahreen

Post by shahreen »

7 days to go and we find out if in calderdale your child will come home wid the letter i am quite sure so lets wait n see
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now