Grammar Schools and A'levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Grammar Schools and A'levels

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was wondering how many A'levels a child normally does at GS and if GS are quite flexible and let very bright children do a higher than average number. Is 4 A'levels (excluding general studies) the norm or is it generally 3, and for those who sit a large number of A'levels does it tend to be a foreign student sitting their own foreign language A'level, inflating the number of qualifications they sit?

Some independent schools sit AS and A2 at the end of the sixth form - do GS do the same and does anyone know of GS who will be offering the Pre-U?

Thanks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Tipsy - where I am it varies - many do 4 A levels - some do 5 and a very few have done 6! We don't have many that 'inflate' this by doing their native language - a few do this at GCSE.

If a child can cope we let them do what they want - obviously a pairing of Maths/ Further Maths is probably not twice the work as there is overlap.

I don't know anywhere around here considering the pre-U; I think people will want to know a bit more about it.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Same here, 4 to 5 A's but now also have option of IB.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

"normal" load would be 4AS in Y12 then 3 A2 in Y13, but option to do more. Son's school trialling the AQA bacc.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Not Grammar School specific but interesting..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 733431.ece
10 A-levels? Easy! :shock:
andyb

Post by andyb »

But what would you do for fun? :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry I think that is just sad - I would prefer my child to do sport, meet people, play music, enjoy life ....
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's the best argument in favour of IB that I've heard yet.

Mike
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Do GS count General Studies as 1 A'level because the indie's I'm looking at do it but don't count it? Only asking because I want to understand the exam results comparitively.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tipsy, many Bucks GS don't do General Studies anymore because Universities don't always count it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now