Declination letters

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kosar.irshad

Declination letters

Post by kosar.irshad »

I'm not sure how to word declination letters to the schools that have been so good throughout this whole process. Can anybody help me please?
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

This is tricky, I know. When I did this last time round, I stressed how much my daughter liked the school we were turning down but after weighing up various factors (could be single-sex v co-ed, distance from home, ease of journey, strength of a particular subject/sport etc etc) she had decided on school X instead.
In other words, a bit of flattery and a suggestion that the final decision lay with the child.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I agree cinnamon - a little flattery goes a long way!! Comment on what a difficult decision it was, how welcome they were made to feel by the school and how they would recommend the process to others etc etc but ultimately felt that the school they (and their child) chose was the most appropriate for their child.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think it's necessary to say which school you did chose!

Just thank for the offer, say some nice things then give a reason why another (unnamed) school was chosen - nearer, closer to a relative, ....
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Whatever you decide, try and send the declinations quickly as there may be another child who just missed out and desperately needs the bursary. :)

Your DS has done exceptionally well and I'm so glad you had the confidence to approach all of these schools as it can be daunting - Well Done!
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

Thanks alot for the helpful replies, and yes Tipsy you are very right in what you say. The letters will be out today.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now