Reading/Kendrick Results looming!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Well the news so far is that although the deadline for submitting their acceptance for Kendrick places has passed they still won't have any further news until the end of the month. They have only received about 80% of the offers back (all of whom have accepted) so there are still 20% that they don't know about. So to my mind it is likely that the people who were intent on accepting their places did so almost immediately so hopefully of the 20% who cannot be bothered to get their responses in by the 15th at least 5 of them haven't replied because they don't want/need the Kendrick place.

That is my current hope and I am sticking to it.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I have resisted asking for an update, so pleased to that you have posted one. :)

If I had an offer I would want it accepted and the acceptance acknowledged before deadline day, to precious to leave to chance.

The school have to rely on Reading Borough and other LEAs to deal with the offers which may introduce processing delays, but I hope and think that somewhere in that 20% (of 96 being 19 places?) there is one for your DD. :)

steve
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

That looks really hopeful Scarlet. I can't believe anyone planning on taking up the place would be tardy with their response. :)
CN
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

It does seem very inconsiderate. Surely anyone who puts their daughter in for the Kendrick entrance exam and is lucky enough to get accepted must know how desperately we want the best education we can get for our children. To just simply not bother replying is a little rude, but I suppose some of them may be trying to keep their options open for as long as possible before making anything final.

*sigh* I have just realised that all ability to wield grammar and syntax have been lost to me.... maybe they can be found with my sanity?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Good to hear that there's still a good chance scarlet.

Some of the 20% parents may be in a quandary over paying for private schooling place instead. I know of a few parents in previous years with the same concern.
Take grammar place that is offered or the expensive private school that has been offered... :roll:
carrottop

Post by carrottop »

Just found this site after googling waiting lists... My son is in a similar position on Reading Boys waiting list. Spoke to LEA admissions yesterday but no movement. They did say (like Kendrick) some forms have not been returned and to ring back the beginning of next month. Not sure what 'some' means - wish I had asked how many now. Hopefully it is similar number to Kendrick.

I do sympathise Scarlet. I've been very laid-back about the whole process, no tutors, very little prep, but to be so close now it has come to dominate my brain! You just think if only we had done a bit more - still my son doesnt seem bothered either way which is good.

Fingers crossed there is some news soon.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi carrottop,

Welcome to the forum. :D

If you search back through the threads you'll find information on Reading wait lists. What number is your son on the list? Things seems a bit slower this year. A couple of years ago I knew someone at about 8th, who had to wait about 5weeks before the good news.

Good Luck

:D

BW
carrottop

Post by carrottop »

Thanks for that BW.

He came 114th in test but 10 of the top 100 weren't offered a place at Reading because they were allocated a school they had placed higher than Reading on their list. This made him 4th on waiting list.

For those taking the test next year:
493 sat the test
100th ranked student scored 339.93 standarised (on their age?).
114th scored 336.83
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Carrotop,

Thankyou for the information. I'm sure future parents will appreciate this.
In previous years they have got down to between 15-19th on the list. So 4th looks very very hopeful!! I'm sure at 4th you'll be getting the good news soon.

:D

BW
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

Good luck Carrotop, it does sound hopeful, so fingers crossed you have some good news in the next few days.

I wondered whether you had any idea of the sort of percentages the boys needed to be scoring overall or do you not get that information? I think the 339 score you mentioned equals 3 X 113 with 113 being roughly the standardised score of the 80th centile ie top 20% which is what you needed to be if 493 boys were sitting for 100 places.

Hope you have good news soon.

CN
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now