Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:42 pm 

Hi,
I have been trying to find reviews for the above tuition centre, as they do intensive courses for 11 plus bucks/berks,etc. has anyone had their child go there and how was it and outcome. I would be very grateful for any info. i heard it is good, but would be nice to hear from personal experience. It is costly so wish to get all the info as possible. Please reply if you have any knowledge of this place.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:23 pm 

Hi

A friends' child tried it for Reading last year - they now wish they had not! It was extremely intensive for a whole year (1-2 hours of homework per night) in addition to the, I think, 3 hours of tuition every Saturday morning. At the beginning of the summer holidays, the tuition centre then send that anyone sitting for Reading Boys should attend a further course to cover all the English that is required for the school. I currently tutor a child who is attending the centre in Slough, but am working on English skills only. He is extremely tired and under constant pressure to get his never ending homework completed.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:36 pm 

yes true it is very very extensive and lot of home work, to be honest it is suitable for very hard working children and not for every child. child should be very patient to be in there. but i am suprised whoever going there , they are continuing somehow without dropping in the middle except my son :)

yes my ds (when he was in y5) tried it and he did not like it and we stopped him sending last year

but now my dd (y4) is going there and she liked it and she is continuing, ofcourse y4 work is less than y5 but she is ready to go in y5 as well.

but the kind of class work/home work that is covered is very good, once the child is in there then it is like one stop shop for bucks/berks exams. for other exams (independent/QEboys/Reading boys) they have normal course plus additional course where they cover creative writing/comprehension etc

they are covering IPS,WALSH,bond,AE books and some other good books. the overall contents are very good

but if child is not hard working or if child does not like it then u dont need to force them to go there, especially if child is targetting only berks/bucks then you may get another tution centre which are less intensive/cheap but good ones.

pm me if you need other slough tution centre details

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 pm 

Sorry, but IMO that is just a ridiculous amount of work - 3 hours tuition and 1-2 hours homework a night for several years! If they can't pass with max 1 year tuition, maybe 1-3 hours per week and a small (10-30mins) daily work then I am sorry, but maybe they are not grammar school material!

Thats just bonkers for an 8,9,10 year old!

Just my opinion, and of course its easy when you've got there - but surely you run the risk of early burnout! There is only so much NVR and VR you can do!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 am 

Hi,
Just an update with regards to the above.
My son started 2 weeks ago, and after worrying if it was going to be too much for him, he is actually enjoying it. They did have a fair bit of home work over the half term ie 9 full length papers and plenty of type z qs. We have to catch up nearly 3 months of what we missed as we started late. They are very intense, but they do classroom teaching which i observed prior to picking him up, and I was quite happy. We went to a tuition place that did 11 plus course for a year but it was just going over what I had covered at home and no homework, so we left. We tried two other places who were giving just full length papers and were not going over the mistakes, or focusing on the vocab. I initially started to teach at home but after 15 mins my son loses concentration, and I was getting annoyed, or he wanted to play football with his friends. Hence i thought he would learn more from a tutor. Plus got 3 younger kids.

Overall we are both happy with this place, they have regular testing, homework mock exams, reports. They also give you individual tuition separately if the child requires it. We were given 3 catch up classes which are 1 to 1.

They did not get much school homework his year 5 class, so he seems fine and is coping well, with the amount of work he has. I let him play with his friends, after he finishes. His friend last year was banned from coming out for 4 months until after the exam, he was not able to get a place as got 111. I let him play I think they need to unwind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:48 am 

This is a positive feedback for AE Tuition compare to some other feedbacks. My friend daughter living around the area attended the tuition and the mum was very happy with and she passed all her test and got into a grammar in Reading.

Why should we ask children to do what they have not been taught how to do? If you are sending your children to grammar school, get them ready for home work. Sometimes it is more than 1-2 hrs a day. so use 11plus as a training ground for them.
They are teaching the children and give them enough home work to reinforces and get the parents involved as well. Although the classes are large as I was told. It could be over twenty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

Booklady wrote:
Sorry, but IMO that is just a ridiculous amount of work - 3 hours tuition and 1-2 hours homework a night for several years! If they can't pass with max 1 year tuition, maybe 1-3 hours per week and a small (10-30mins) daily work then I am sorry, but maybe they are not grammar school material!

Thats just bonkers for an 8,9,10 year old!

Just my opinion, and of course its easy when you've got there - but surely you run the risk of early burnout! There is only so much NVR and VR you can do!! :wink:

I totally agree.