Maths workbooks AE publications

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confused mummy

Maths workbooks AE publications

Post by confused mummy »

Hi,
I picked up books 3,4,5 and 6 of the AE publications Maths workbooks from this site. However, I find that there are some very advanced topics covered in the books and these are not reflected in the NFER papers. Topics such as enlargement, gradient etc. Does anyone have experience using these workbooks for children on the verge of entering year 6? How do we find the topics that are really relevant to us?
thanks,
Confused mum

Post by Guest »

i have just started books 2 and 3 with dd (about to go into year 6) and i also found this problem,not sure whether or not to go through the whole topic or just what might be relevent and then spend more time going onto next topic, hopefully someone can post and enlighten us both!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I had the same problem when my son took the 11+. The AE workbooks are for indepedent schools entrance exams as well as the 11+ and, as far as I know, there is no such thing as an 11 + curriculum so it is hard to know what is relevant.

The way I approched the NFER maths isn't recommended by tutors because it uses the tests papers for practice rather than testing, but it worked for my son. That's what I did, if it's any help:

I asked my son to do the first NFER test, then checked it and made a list of all the topics that he needed to work on.
For each of theses topics, I tried to find out what his level was, and then I built up to the level of the tests with a mix of explanations, and exercises. I used the AE worbooks as support for myself, and for exercises, but not systematically.
I was also using the IPS tests (6mns and 35 mns) that are very compatibe with NFER, but I think a bit harder, and I was going through the same process, listing all the areas that needed work.
Once we had been trough all the topics from my list, I asked my son to do the second NFER paper, repeting the same process with all four papers.

In the end, I was fairly confident that we had covered all the topics used in the NFER papers.

This method is only useful if your child is starting year 6 and you are close to the exam. If your child is staring year 5 you would spend time teaching something that could be taught at school anyway.

Best of luck
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

The Tutors Maths CD1 formats the NFER question sets into 18 categories. Each category contains sub-categories i.e. Bar charts, pie charts, pictograms. There are 50 questions for each main category and as the questions rotate they get progressively more difficult.

The Tutors Maths CD2 contains twenty 50 question tests that are also written to the NFER standard. The questions reflect the spread of types within the NFER question sets.

There are no duplicate questions on the CDs and each set of questions can be completed as often as necessary with the last 10 attempts recorded for accuracy and timing.

Both CD1 and CD2 contain bonus material to practice mental arithmetic, algebra and timestables.

Free demos for each CD are available from the "Interactive CDs" section of the site.

Regards

Mike