Compare CGP CEM papers with last year Bucks exam PLEASE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sutu123

Compare CGP CEM papers with last year Bucks exam PLEASE

Post by sutu123 »

Hi, I am totally freaking out. My son has started doing CGP cem style papers and scoring from 80-85%. I have read that the cutting marks for bucks is 121 out of 141. So could some one please tell me how hard the papers were in the actual exam last year.
Sutu.
Tolstoy

Re: Compare CGP CEM papers with last year Bucks exam PLEASE

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi sutu 123, I am a novice to this area and CEM but I would say as the tests are standardised how hard 2013 test is not terribly relevant for 2014. Personally I would be happy with those scores.

Also in the interest of fairness I would like to say that I am hoping one of my DSs will be able to sit a test for 2014 y7 entry and if he is given the 2013 test then it might be better if people PMd you the information.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

sutu123 wrote:I have read that the cutting marks for bucks is 121 out of 141.
This is no longer the case, and never really was. 141 was an artificial cut-off point where all scores of 141 and above were lumped together.

The actual maximum standardised score last year was 199.

We estimate that a raw score of somewhere in the region of 60 - 65% was enough to gain a standardised score of 121 last year for the CEM test.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

We also have no idea how hard this year's test will be, the amount of local children passing the test fell by a massive 4% last year, so they may keep it the same, taking into account the huge amount of knowledge we now all have about the cem paper compared to last summer's blissful ignorance. In Warwickshire though they took this into account and made the paper harder for the next year entrants.

Imo too much credit is given to the cog papers, due to limited alternatives. Your son scored brilliantly in his hone test, but you panicking is not going to help him....why panic, the alternative is not breaking rocks for six years.

Tolstoy you can search this forum and others to find out the exact subject areas tested, the format, the amount of questions per subject, even an idea of timing, although that comes from kiddies, none of which the September sitters knew about. Really in your position anyone would use all those available details to ensure their child had the best chance at passing, presumably he sits next week.
sutu123

Post by sutu123 »

Hi All, Thank you for your inputs. That was good to know some body did get 199 score last year.
Sutu
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

sutu123 wrote:Hi All, Thank you for your inputs. That was good to know some body did get 199 score last year.
Sutu
Don't get distracted by this. I would suggest you read about standardisation if you are interested in understanding how it all works, but as others have said, it is quite meaningless in you being able to judge how well your son is doing because it is impossible to know how raw scores will translate to standardised scores for future cohorts.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Also, in the end it doesn't matter what the score is as long as it is over 121.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now