Wilmington Grammar School for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
amfnc

Wilmington Grammar School for Boys

Post by amfnc »

I've just noticed that WGSB has changed its over-subscription criteria. After the usual siblings etc, it used to go solely on distance, however now, after siblings etc. it offers up to 1.5 miles and to a number of parishes, some of which are miles away. We live just 2.4 miles as the crow flies but are OCC, given the new criteria, does this mean my son has very little chance of getting in should he pass the exam on Weds? This was one of the schools he really liked when he looked last year. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
salsa

Re: Wilmington Grammar School for Boys

Post by salsa »

The best person to ask is Mrs Owen the HT's PA. She is a very efficient and friendly person. Last year they went out for miles and there were over 80 oversubscription appeals. I don't know how many got in on appeal, but she can answer that. There are places for the top 10% of applicants and the score last year was 413 and the year before 414. Please let us know what she says, especially if an extra form was added last year.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

amfnc wrote:I've just noticed that WGSB has changed its over-subscription criteria. After the usual siblings etc, it used to go solely on distance, however now, after siblings etc. it offers up to 1.5 miles and to a number of parishes, some of which are miles away. We live just 2.4 miles as the crow flies but are OCC, given the new criteria, does this mean my son has very little chance of getting in should he pass the exam on Weds?
Unless you are a top scorer it may be a difficult to get a place. Unlike Bexley, Kent prioritise their residents. Having said that not sure if this school will be that popular that all places will be snapped up by the Parishes. I think Dartford boys will probably be more popular but someone with more local knowledge may be able to advise further.

If you are really keen on this school it may be worth to discuss this with KCC admissions team. Hope your DS will get a top score, that would sort the problem. Fingers crossed.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Thanks all. I spoke to Mrs Owen this morning who was very helpful. She said that she doesn't know how it is going to pan out this year as its the first year. Basically, as per the new criteria, the parishes get first dibs but she said some of the those parishes are very far away and they have more local schools. After the parishes, it goes on distance, she said she's hopeful that it will stretch out to Bexley, as we are so close (she is in the same boat for next year, her ds is sitting exam next year and she wants him to go there, but she's is in Bexley borough). I suppose it will just depend on how many people put it on their form. One thing she did more or less allude to is that it will now be very difficult, maybe impossible for children further afield such as Essex/South East London to get a place and I suspect that Bromley and Orpington children will also find it hard.
salsa

Post by salsa »

She is so helpful, isn't she? Did you find out about the appeals? The school is popular and last year there were over 80 appeals. I'm sure some got in on appeal and the school has room for growth.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Yes she is really helpful Salsa, do you have a son at WGSB?
salsa

Post by salsa »

No, I haven't. However, Wilmington was top of our list. The only problem was that it was harder for my son to get to. He is at Dartford Grammar School and is happy. I do wonder sometimes, however, if he would have been happier at Wilmington as he is such a technical child.
Last edited by salsa on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Ah that's a shame, I must say I'm surprised though, as I always thought that DGS was MUCH harder to get into than WGSB? Now I'm really worried :( The thing is we're not far away at all, just the wrong side of the border.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Oh, I mean transport wise! As OOC he did need a very high score for both! Wilmington had a sibling policy and I was tempted, however, we do not know if my second son will pass the exam and the thought of my son having a difficult journey for seven years was a factor. The other thing that we liked from Dartford was the languages as Wilmington had just a few European languages. I wasn't very sure, but my husband had a very strong preference. As Dartford had initially been my son's favourite we went for it in the end.

You say you live in Bexley? What about the Bexley schools? We really liked them too.
raat

Post by raat »

very new to kent forum ... could anyone please advise how what is minimum score for Dartford Grammar School for OOC
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now