Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hyacinth

Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Post by Hyacinth »

Hello all!

DS scored 120 in his Bucks transfer test and we're now considering our next move. We have a meeting with his head teacher tomorrow but I just want to make sure I'm going in there fully prepared.
I met with his head in the summer term (who has now left, there is an acting HT in place) and was told he would recommend DS for grammar. I would guess that he gave a 2:2 recommendation but will check tomorrow. I will also attempt to find out his levels tomorrow (his school have been reluctant to share this info in the past and I am too much of a pushover. I must toughen up before tomorrow!) and his predicted SATS.
Other than this, my questions are:
1) There was a disruption early on in their test. Should I push for this to be mentioned in the head teacher's report?
2) Also, DS's strongest subject is probably maths, yet this was his weakest score. Do we need to find an explanation for this?
Is there anything else I need to push for while I'm trying to be tough?!

Finally, thanks to everyone that contributes to this site for their help and expertise. We would never have got to this stage without it.
Etienne

Re: Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Hyacinth wrote:1) There was a disruption early on in their test. Should I push for this to be mentioned in the head teacher's report?
Yes, but schools may be reluctant to comment in writing! If so, you may need to follow up with a letter or email expressing concern.
You can then use a copy of your letter or email as evidence for the review/appeal.
You can also ask for a copy of the invigilator's log, provided names are redacted.
2) Also, DS's strongest subject is probably maths, yet this was his weakest score. Do we need to find an explanation for this?
Not necessarily (although if you have a good reason, you will of course use it.). It could down to the fact that no test is 100% reliable in every case.
The important thing would be to have plenty of evidence of very high ability in maths.
I wrote in another thread about a Kent parent who set out to prove at appeal that the 11+ maths result was a blip. He had the results of a series of CATs tests, taken over an extended period, where quantitative reasoning came out at the 99th, 98th, 98th and 95th percentile. Even allowing for confidence intervals, the sheer consistency of these excellent results made for a compelling academic case.
There was also very strong support from the school. “X recently sat a year 6 maths SATs paper and achieved a 5B. X is consistently good at tests. ….. X is in our top set for maths.”
Is there anything else I need to push for while I'm trying to be tough?!
If your son was a '2', it would be useful to know how many of the school's 2:1 and 2:2 recommendations were successful in the 11+. Some schools are reluctant to divulge this information, but it will eventually be available to all those going to appeal (provided they asked for the review paperwork to be completed).
Finally, thanks to everyone that contributes to this site for their help and expertise. We would never have got to this stage without it.
:D
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good luck .. a few points to cover

KS2 test predictions need to be high level 5

Are there any CATs or other results

Reading age?

How strongly will they support?

Was the disruption reported to the LA by the invigilator?

A review is a paper exercise so do read through the 'should I go for a review or an appeal' post.

(Cross post with Etienne)
Last edited by Guest55 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Many thanks for your replies.
So, my plan is to discuss the disruption and insist that I feel it must be a factor, especially with DS's score being so close. I will then follow up the meeting with an email confirming the discussion that can be used if necessary. I will ask if the disruption was properly recorded by the invigilator.
Regarding his maths, I am not aware of any CAT tests. There is only one class per year group but DS is in 'top group'. He has been described as an 'excellent mathematician' by his teachers. I will push for this to be included in the head's report and any other support they can offer.
I am not aware of other recommendations but am only aware of one other 'pass' in his class of 30 students. Do I need to ask if there were any '1' recommendations?
His reading age is older by at least a year. I will bring this up at the meeting.

I have read the review/appeal threads. The thought of waiting until the summer term scares the life out of me!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I will ask if the disruption was properly recorded by the invigilator.
You can insist on a copy for the review/appeal under Freedom of Information - but only if names are redacted.
I am not aware of other recommendations but am only aware of one other 'pass' in his class of 30 students. Do I need to ask if there were any '1' recommendations?
The success rate of the '2's is your first priority. If they're receptive to your request, you could then ask about the '1's.
His reading age is older by at least a year. I will bring this up at the meeting.
Ideally it should be around two years ahead.
I have read the review/appeal threads. The thought of waiting until the summer term scares the life out of me!
And of everyone else! :?
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The problem is that the review is very quick and a paper exercise; you can't present your case in person.

An appeal is in front of an independent panel and are open to ANY evidence you present.

It's a gamble either way ...
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Sorry, can I just ask how the importance of the '1's and '2's works please? If I can only glean a certain amount of information, I want to ensure that I understand the reasoning behind it and make sure I am asking the right questions. Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If a headteacher has 'overestimated' (e.g. by recommending lots of 2s, the vast majority of whom don't qualify), a review or appeal panel might well take the view that such recommendations are devalued.

On the other hand, if a headteacher 'underestimates' (i.e. is seen to be too strict), then a review or appeal panel might take the view that a '2' at that school should be considered a '1'.
Etienne
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I suspect it may be the former. I'm sure I remember him saying that he had been accused of being overly optimistic in the past :( Still, at least I can now ask the correct questions!

I will gauge it tomorrow but, is it worth asking the acting head what their recommendation would have been? Is that likely to have any merit?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll try to leave you in peace now!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I will gauge it tomorrow but, is it worth asking the acting head what their recommendation would have been?
What it was for your son? Yes, but if you're asking for the review paperwork to be done, it should be on there anyway.

Whether you're going for a review, or going straight to appeal, you should still ask for the "review summary sheet" to be completed.

Even if you decide to skip the review, the summary sheet could be very useful evidence for appeal purposes.
Etienne