KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Coldfield Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HodgeHillDad

KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Coldfield Girls?

Post by HodgeHillDad »

Having trouble choosing between these two schools and now too late to re-visit due to letter coming late and schools closing for half term
Any comments / advice would be appreciated please
nicolajane1971

Re: KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Coldfield Girls?

Post by nicolajane1971 »

If you are struggling to decide I would make it all about the practical stuff. First on that list is travel time, makes a huge difference to their day and I think most of the grammars give a fair amount of homework so shorter travel time the better. I'd then consider the stuff that is important to your DD, for example If she's sporty then SG have just opened their amazing new hall and are really keen for 'sporty' girls to engage with them.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

I know children at both schools and academically both sets of parents are delighted with the schools, she will be brilliant at either one. What does she say?
HodgeHillDad

Post by HodgeHillDad »

Thanks nicolajane
Daughter prefers Handsworth, we're not sure about restriction of Green Bus to/from there, as it's easier to get to Sutton, plenty of regular buses
Need to make a decision and confused!
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

You still have time, maybe do both bus journeys over the weekend, she's not old enough to understand ease if travel and how important it is. What times will she leave/get back with each school?
FairyDust13

Post by FairyDust13 »

Hi HodgeHillDad,

We had the same dilemma last year!! DD was adamant on KEVIH, we live no more than 10 minutes walk from the SCGSG. Personally both myself and DH preferred KEVIH, but the distance was a major issue for us when we had a grammer on the doorstep.

She is not sporty so the new gym would not have enticed her, quite the opposite, as she would not want to run anymore than she needs too!! :)

One of our concerns was after school clubs. She has a slightly longer day at KEVIH than she would have had at SCGSG, but all clubs are during lunch and there are plenty to choose from. Both myself and DH work fulltime so do not have time to pick up after school, this works well for us. So far we have not found the distance to be an issue.

Basically, what i am trying to say is factor in after school activities, as extra-curricular activities are a major part of grammer school life.
Last edited by FairyDust13 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We are also trying to make this decision so any useful input would be helpful. Neither are near to us now (Walsall) and we are going to be moving to the south side of Birmingham anyway next year. We managed a tour of Sutton this morning - last chance they said - and we're going to Handsworth tomorrow. Sutton was lovely, but I expect we'll feel the same about Handsworth!
HodgeHillDad

Post by HodgeHillDad »

Thanks for the advice FairyDust
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

crazycrofter wrote:We are also trying to make this decision so any useful input would be helpful. Neither are near to us now (Walsall) and we are going to be moving to the south side of Birmingham anyway next year. We managed a tour of Sutton this morning - last chance they said - and we're going to Handsworth tomorrow. Sutton was lovely, but I expect we'll feel the same about Handsworth!
As I have previously mentioned on the forum the yellow bus company has 4 school buses running north and south of Birmingham since the summer term of 2013 to Sutton Girls. You may want to contact the bus company for the bus routes. Living in Walsall I have put Handsworth as our second choice due to logistics and the experiences of children and adults who I know who have been there for their schooling. In respect of Sutton Girls I don't know any children who have attended there so it is unfair for me to comment from their experiences. Academically I favour Handsworth up to GCSE. Comparisons at A level can be unfair unless you know how many girls left after the GCSEs and the quality of the grades on entrance of the new girls in the sixth form. Sutton Girls is for purely logistical reasons further down our thinking. Both are very good schools. In choosing just think of the practical considerations which is very good advice previously given.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
FairyDust13

Post by FairyDust13 »

Crazrcrofter if you are moving to the south side birmingham then i would look at the routes from there first. Which school would be easier to get to from the area you are looking to move to.

My friends son got a place in a Birmingham Grammer, did the journey from Derby for a year, until they finally moved to Birmingham. How likely are you to move?

If not then from my experience and talking to other parents KEVIH is usually the choice for girls from Walsall, not sure if logistics is the reason for this. Worth checking out!

Transport is not an issue from the cente of Walsall to Sutton, as regular public buses run from Sutton to Walsall.