Travel options to SHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
burg87

Travel options to SHSG

Post by burg87 »

Hi

We are tentatively planning ahead for 2015 intake (DD has a v good chance of getting an offer from SHSG). Currently we live in Brentwood and would consider moving closer to Southend as I don't relish my DD making the 3 hr round-trip commute via train and bus for the next 7 years (plus we have a 2nd, younger, DD).

My question is: Can anyone advise on travel options to SHSG from the following areas (or their environs)?

Hadleigh, Leigh-on-Sea, or Hockley

I contacted Stephensons Bus company (who are contracted by the CSSE) and they couldn't offer anything in the way of dedicated School Bus services.

Thanks
Chris
ToadMum

Re: Travel options to SHSG

Post by ToadMum »

burg87 wrote:Hi

We are tentatively planning ahead for 2015 intake (DD has a v good chance of getting an offer from SHSG). Currently we live in Brentwood and would consider moving closer to Southend as I don't relish my DD making the 3 hr round-trip commute via train and bus for the next 7 years (plus we have a 2nd, younger, DD).

Chris
Quite a lot of girls do come in via Southend Victoria, but the c2c line to Southend East is easier. Hockley to Southend Vic is only about 10 minutes, though, then the bus from outside the station - or from round the corner at the first stop in Southchurch Road, bypassing the travel centre.

Via c2c, from our nearest station, Chalkwell, the journey to Southend East is 7 minutes, then a 10 - 15 minute walk at the other end. Trains are every 15 minutes; DD and DS1 go for the last possible one, which gets to Southend East at 0809. Leigh on Sea station is about 3 minutes further away, journey-wise, but the station itself is a longer walk from the nearest houses than Chalkwell is, if you see what I mean.

From Hadleigh, the options would be the bus - the number 1 or the 27 all the way to school, or a bus down to the railway station in Benfleet, another 5 minutes further away from the school than Leigh, train-wise, so 17 minutes or so.

BTW, c2c is generally cheaper than Greater Anglia - and we have nicer trains :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

ToadMum, ever thought of starting up as a travel consultant? A mine of information :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:ToadMum, ever thought of starting up as a travel consultant? A mine of information :)
:lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

Another option is the potential new contract bus route that will cover Rayleigh and Hockley/Hawkwell direct to SHSG I believe, the school recently sent home a letter to girls living in those areas to see if any interest.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Moatmum wrote:Another option is the potential new contract bus route that will cover Rayleigh and Hockley/Hawkwell direct to SHSG I believe, the school recently sent home a letter to girls living in those areas to see if any interest.
For that, you are paying three or four times the price of an annual season ticket if your DD is using the Leigh / Chalkwell - Southend East route, and she would need to get local transport or be picked up every time she wanted to take part in an after-school activity, or if she wanted to do anything like early-morning cross-country training. Unless they are going to let local girls use Octopus season tickets on the bus, which for our DD would be about twice the cost of the train but still cheaper than the price quoted in the letter and would cover all public buses at any time. However, there was no mention of that option in the letter that we had.

Consortium buses are great if you live a long way off or somewhere awkward to get to and they are your DC's only hope of being able to take up a grammar school place apart from a parent giving up work to do the trip there and back twice a day, but very inflexible and generally very poor value if you live within the Southend / Wescliff catchment area compared with the Octopus tickets for the buses or the discounted child season tickets on the trains, which can be used at any time, not just for 'school' journeys.

It does help, of course, to start getting your DC used to independent travel at least over the course of year 6, however they are going to be getting to school once they 'move up'. DD was very sceptical when I told her that even if the stop she was waiting at was only on one bus route, she still had to show the driver that she wanted him / her to stop for her - until she tried it her way on her first 'dry run'. Twenty minutes late when the next one hove into view, she was a little more proactive :lol:.
BaffledMum

Post by BaffledMum »

ToadMum wrote:
KB wrote:ToadMum, ever thought of starting up as a travel consultant? A mine of information :)
:lol:
I totally agree with you KB. ToadMum's "travel consultancy" helped us immensely last year when we were in the same position as burg87. Thanks once again ToadMum. All the best burg87.
routeseeker

Post by routeseeker »

Hi,

Can someone help me with all the travelling options. My DD received an offer in SHCG. We live in Grays, west thurrock and planning to move into Benfleet. Apart from C2C is there any other option to travel from both locations?

thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

routeseeker wrote:Hi,

Can someone help me with all the travelling options. My DD received an offer in SHCG. We live in Grays, west thurrock and planning to move into Benfleet. Apart from C2C is there any other option to travel from both locations?

thanks in advance.
Hi (me again :) )

Seriously, the quickest and cheapest route from either Grays or Benfleet is the train. From Benfleet, you would pay the same as us - about £200 for the current academic year (tickets valid 20th August 2014 to 31st July 2015, but still only about £5 / week even if your DD only uses the ticket for home-school travel). Hordes of children use the train and the walk from Southend East is very straightforward, so she would be in no danger of getting lost :lol: .
routeseeker

Post by routeseeker »

ToadMum wrote:
routeseeker wrote:Hi,

thanks in advance.
Hi (me again :) )

Seriously, the quickest and cheapest route from either Grays or Benfleet is the train. From Benfleet, you would pay the same as us - about £200 for the current academic year (tickets valid 20th August 2014 to 31st July 2015, but still only about £5 / week even if your DD only uses the ticket for home-school travel). Hordes of children use the train and the walk from Southend East is very straightforward, so she would be in no danger of getting lost :lol: .
Thanks ToadMum for your reply, really appreciate that. How safe is this this route, we are worried that she'll have to travel alone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now