Havering Grammer Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kmadhu

Havering Grammer Schools

Post by kmadhu »

Hi, I've recently moved to Romford area and looking for grammer schools. I have 3 questions:

a. Does havering counsil catchment of Romford belong to Essex or Essex redbridge?
b. Any list of grammer schools in this area
c. List of independent grammer schools in this area

Any help is appreciated.

Mady
ToadMum

Re: Havering Grammer Schools

Post by ToadMum »

kmadhu wrote:Hi, I've recently moved to Romford area and looking for grammer schools. I have 3 questions:

a. Does havering counsil catchment of Romford belong to Essex or Essex redbridge?
b. Any list of grammer schools in this area
c. List of independent grammer schools in this area

Any help is appreciated.

Mady
The catchment area for the two grammar schools in the London Borough of Redbridge does not, as far as I am aware, include addresses in Havering. However, the Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (try googling 'CSSE Essex', ignore results pertaining to the Canadian Society of Safety Engineers) has no restrictions, address-wise, on candidates for its 11+ exam and all of its eleven schools have some or all places open to all regardless of place of residence (although Tommy More's still expects you to be RC even if you are applying for an academic place), as does Chelmsford County High School for Girls, which conducts a separate entrance exam, the same as the one for Redbridge.

New Hall School on the outskirts of Chelmsford has an entrance exam and also gives sports scholarships. Also RC but apparently not overbearingly so and you don't have to be religious to go there, just not mind that the school is. A neighbour's son got a sports scholarship having failed the CSSE test. Brentwood School also has an entrance test. Thorpe Hall in Southend is non-selective but doesn't do too badly - my impression is that it is a popular choice for the not-quite-so-bright siblings of local grammar pupils, whose parents can afford to having to send them to the local comp .
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

Sorry to be pedantic but it's 'grammar'.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Is new Hall not run by nuns any more then? They used to expect it's pupils to attend regular weekday mass too if I recall correctly

I sat the entrance exam and the overbearing Catholic nature was seriously scary!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Proudmumregardless wrote:Is new Hall not run by nuns any more then? They used to expect it's pupils to attend regular weekday mass too if I recall correctly

I sat the entrance exam and the overbearing Catholic nature was seriously scary!
It's still a religious foundation but I'm fairly certain that they actually say on the website that it isn't necessary to be RC etc. The only person I know who has a child therm has never struck me as being particularly religious, I think they just wanted to avoid the local comprehensives and their lad had failed the 11+ but was good enough at sport to get a scholarship there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
marigold

Post by marigold »

The nuns have long gone but I believe they still have a regular mass etc.

Off topic but the lovely nuns who were ousted now run a daily after school homework in a less affluent part of Chelmsford. My daughter helped out once a week when she was in the sixth form and my son now does too. He told me yesterday that, despite being a millitant athiest, he loves the Sisters and if by any chance there does turn out to be a god he is on his way to earning a place in heaven. Not sure that is how it works and possibly more useful for his personal statement, but I am glad he is having fun.