L33

Selection Review Advice - Bucks

Post by L33 »

Hello

Unfortunately our DD didn’t qualify with a score of 114 broken down as follows:
Verbal: 58
Maths: 38.87
Non-Verbal: 18.87

We have decided to go for Selection Review, I have spent lots of time reading the advice on here which is absolutely invaluable (I knew more than our Head!) but I’d welcome any comments that might be helpful in filling out our SR form.

She has a 2;1 recommendation from her Headteacher (who submitted 5 2;1 recommendations of which 4 passed).

Yr 2 Sats – all 2a

Predicted Yr 6 Sats
Reading 110-120
Maths 100-110
Writing Expected

No other test results from school that we can use.

No extenuating circumstances.

We had her assessed for Dyslexia 2 years ago and the findings from the Ed Pysch’s report using the Wechsler Scales were

• Full Scale IQ 114 (high average general ability, above 82% of the population)
• VR 124 (95th percentile)
• NVR 106 (66th percentile)
• Numeracy Skills 116 (86th percentile)

What we can’t explain is her much lower than expected NRV score (she was constantly scoring 75-80% in her practice material, though obviously I can’t prove so wont mention). I think her Maths score was strong, could you say that these would normally correlate?

Any value in rerunning the Wechsler test or just the NRV part (though I don’t know that the Ed Psych would consider doing this).

Thanks so much!
Etienne

Re: Selection Review Advice - Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
L33 wrote:Unfortunately our DD didn’t qualify with a score of 114 broken down as follows:
Verbal: 58
Maths: 38.87
Non-Verbal: 18.87
For ease of comparison, the unweighted scores are respectively 116.00 129.57 94.35.
I have spent lots of time reading the advice on here which is absolutely invaluable (I knew more than our Head!)
Thank you. :D
but I’d welcome any comments that might be helpful in filling out our SR form.
You've done your homework, so I'm pretty sure you already understand the weaknesses/strengths in the case.

Looking at the details set out above, it may not matter too much what you put on the SR form - all the information the SRP need is likely to be on the headteacher's selection review summary sheet.

The WISC test would be additional information, but I don't think it strengthens your case.
FSIQ, NVR and Numeracy are not as high as one would like to see.
82nd percentile for FSIQ might sound impressive, but WISC is nationally standardised, and doesn't correlate with a test standardised for the Bucks cohort.
What we can’t explain is her much lower than expected NRV score (she was constantly scoring 75-80% in her practice material, though obviously I can’t prove so wont mention). I think her Maths score was strong, could you say that these would normally correlate?
There is said to be a correlation, but it may not be precise!
Any value in rerunning the Wechsler test or just the NRV part (though I don’t know that the Ed Psych would consider doing this).
It might be of interest - but I'm not sure if it would be ready in time for the SR deadline?
Etienne
L33

Post by L33 »

Thank you Etienne

Yes I realise at 114 and no extenuating circumstances that the odds are not in our favour!

Thanks for pointing out the limitations of using the Wechsler test. The advice from the Ed Pysch this morning was to focus on the 95 percentile result for VR as 'Verbal IQ is known to correlate highly with academic success'.

We may be able to get another test done next week but I'm not sure of the value given your comments below.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

L33 wrote:The advice from the Ed Pysch this morning was to focus on the 95 percentile result for VR as 'Verbal IQ is known to correlate highly with academic success'.
I don't believe that argument would work with the SRP - after all, they (the grammar schools) decided to move away from VR only (previously justified as the "best predictor of academic success") - and switched to the CEM system!
They would certainly note the verbal comprehension score - but they would note the other scores too.
We may be able to get another test done next week but I'm not sure of the value given your comments below.
It would have value if it comes up with the results you want! :)
Ideally, to allow for the different standardisation, I would be looking for scores at the 90th+ percentile.
Etienne