CAF Advice needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

braveheart

CAF Advice needed

Post by braveheart »

Hi,
My DS passed slough with 116. Considering Upton court Grammar was 114 (Rank Score) for 2016 entry, should I be confident enough that he will get a place at Upton Court in 2017 entry? What are his chances in Herschel Grammar with 116. I need to fill CAF and I don't get a space for a local non-grammar school on CAF if I put Herschel also on CAF .

Please advise.
Reading Mum

Re: CAF Advice needed

Post by Reading Mum »

put the entries in your true order of preference - but make sure that you put a non-GS that you would qualify on there as well otherwise your child could be put wherever there are spaces
braveheart

Post by braveheart »

Thanks Reading Mum. Problem is that DS has passed 4 other schools outside slough also and I wish to put all those schools on CAF so all six spaces on CAF will be filled with Grammar schools and I will be left with no space for a local non-GS. Considering his score 116 in Slough, I am assuming that he will get a place at least in Upton Court so if I don't write any non-GS school on CAF, it will not cause any harm... Am I being over-confident?

Tiffin (assuming that DS would pass second stage also)
Wilson
Wallington
Sutton
Herschel
Upton Court
Orange11

Post by Orange11 »

braveheart wrote:Thanks Reading Mum. Problem is that DS has passed 4 other schools outside slough also and I wish to put all those schools on CAF so all six spaces on CAF will be filled with Grammar schools and I will be left with no space for a local non-GS. Considering his score 116 in Slough, I am assuming that he will get a place at least in Upton Court so if I don't write any non-GS school on CAF, it will not cause any harm... Am I being over-confident?

Wilson
Wallington
Sutton
Herschel
Upton Court
Congratulation to your DS!

116 is a good score to get into Upton based on historical data than Herschel. Also bear in mind that Upton has more places to offer for non catchment than Herschel and both schools are good.

As for Sutton schools, without knowing the scores it's difficult to predict whether any of the DC's will get an offer. In short, you can't rely on possibility of Sutton schools offer.

I would put one good comprehensive as last preference but in case there are no good comprehensive schools then I would go with all grammar school preferences and wait for 1st March.

Hope this helps.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Past history regarding allocations is only a guide. You have no idea what other choices other people will make.

The question you have to ask yourself is, if you do not meet the criteria for any of the GS you have listed (due to low score or being too far on distance etc) how do you feel about being allocated any state school in your LEA or authority area...and I mean any, regardless of how far away it is, or whether it is a failing school etc, just because it is the one with spaces and you didn't list a school you were certain of getting a place in?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

As Orange11 said, it's possible for a child to gain passes from all 3 Sutton grammars but not get a place at any of them.

Also I don't know when the second stage Tiffin results are out but if it's after the deadline and you find he hasn't passed, you would also be looking at no place there either.

Putting all grammars is a risky strategy. No one is going to be able to guarantee that your scores will definitely secure you a grammar place - there are possible scenarios in which you would not be offered a place at any of the grammars and then you might be offered a school that you really don't want.

If there is a non-grammar option that you like and would be certain to get a place at, I personally would sacrifice one of the grammars (the Sutton one you like least?) in favour of it. Good luck.
Last edited by streathammum on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
parentoftwo

Post by parentoftwo »

I am in a similar situation but definitely listing one non GS school ..definitely.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

braveheart wrote:Thanks Reading Mum. Problem is that DS has passed 4 other schools outside slough also and I wish to put all those schools on CAF so all six spaces on CAF will be filled with Grammar schools and I will be left with no space for a local non-GS. Considering his score 116 in Slough, I am assuming that he will get a place at least in Upton Court so if I don't write any non-GS school on CAF, it will not cause any harm... Am I being over-confident?

Wilson
Wallington
Sutton
Herschel
Upton Court
Please check what the catchment/residency requirements for Tiffin are. They have a catchment and you may need to be already in catchment to get a place. Otherwise it will be a wasted choice.

You really do need to list at least one school you would be happy with and have a very good chance of a place, otherwise, as others have already said, you could end up having to travel a lot to a school that is undersubscribed (usually because it isn't a school people, want). Unless you are sure you will get one of the GSs you are listing, and form the sound of it you aren't, then it would be very risky not to list a school you know you will get.
braveheart

Post by braveheart »

thanks everyone for your valuable replies. I'll put one non-GS on CAF now.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Congratulations on your DS passing the test. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the geographical locations for the schools chosen! Where do you live? How will your son get to school?