St Olaves- Some reality check

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11_plus

St Olaves- Some reality check

Post by 11_plus »

Hello,
I've been researching a lot about St Olaves as I've to take a decision to put it in our CAF. Some realities:

1. Staff turnover ratio is quite high & they've more NQTs who obviously lack experience.

http://www.saintolaves.net/news/273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please take a look at the above link from St Olaves website. Total of 9 staff left in July :? I'm thinking of the quality of education :roll: That's probably the reason I couldn't find any information about the staff on St Olaves website as against other schools like Judd & Skinners who have a dedicated page on their website about the staff & their qualification.

2. https://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/parent ... t/1334/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parents views on the 8th, 9th & 10th point is alarming.

3. https://www.change.org/p/reverse-the-ch ... mar-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shocking comments made by the supporters of the petition who're real students, teachers & parents. (I've googled many names mentioned on the petition)

Could someone please share their opinion on this?

PS: I would appreciate if people read my post & share their views on it instead of focussing on grammar and spellings. I'm not a blogger, English is my second language & I'm proud that I know 3 languages :D

"We breathe in our first language, and swim in our second & third"
Last edited by 11_plus on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefol

Re: St Olaves- Some reality check

Post by lefol »

Thanks for posting and I admire the fact you can speak three languages. I have always wanted to study a second language. St Olaves is not on our list of schools but I am sure other parents with personal knowledge of the school will come and share their personal views here. I have been using this forum for the past five years and in that time, St Olaves has always attracted negative and a few positive views. They achieve excellent results but this has to be judged on the basis that they take the brightest children at age 11 and are very selective in their intake.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't know the school, but would say that 9 leaving is not that many; at least one has retired. I can think of many GS with a larger number leaving ...

Every school needs NQTs - they are usually well-trained and up-to-date and it's good to have one in a department. H0ow do you know how many NQTs there are of the new staff?

I'd be more worried about Parent View if they really are parents - anyone can comment on any school there is no check that you actually have a child at the school.
11_plus

Post by 11_plus »

lefol wrote:Thanks for posting and I admire the fact you can speak three languages. I have always wanted to study a second language.
Thanks Lefol for your kind words.
11_plus

Post by 11_plus »

Guest55 wrote: H0ow do you know how many NQTs there are of the new staff?

I'd be more worried about Parent View if they really are parents - anyone can comment on any school there is no check that you actually have a child at the school.
Hi Guest55! I've added 3rd link on my post. There are many comments made by the students about the new teaching staff. Moreover I've spoken to couple of parents about it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - there was a thread on these changes earlier in the year. I did post s comment saying the requirements were far too high and should not be changed at late notice.

It still does not prove that the Ofsted Parent view is completed by parents. We do surveys at Parents Evenings so we know it is our parents who are commenting - even Ofsted themselves know their survey is not accurate way to collect opinions.
SydenhamDad

Post by SydenhamDad »

Best to ignore a lot of this - my son and his buddies are very happy at St Olave's.
Last edited by SydenhamDad on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefol

Post by lefol »

OP is simply asking an open question and seeking an objective answer , which you as a parent there should be able to answer in a helpful way and give an objective response. Why do questions about St Olaves always generate defensive responses?! Weird.
dhriti

Post by dhriti »

Is there any details for ST. Olaves stage 2 exam, e.g. What type of Maths and English question, the pattern, level etc.?
lefol

Post by lefol »

Sydenhamdad, edited version reads much better . Hope the OP and all other Stage2 parents benefit from positive responses here to the questions posed by the OP.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now