Does anyone think My Maths is Useless

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Does anyone think My Maths is Useless

Post by Optimist »

Has anyone got any views on My Maths for Ed Excel. My children use the textbooks and the online test. Think it is all woolly, and much prefer the more focussed CGP textbook and their MathsBuster. Just never understood the hype about My Maths.
Guest55

Re: Does anyone think My Maths is Useless

Post by Guest55 »

I think it's great - it'e written by Maths teachers and has some good resources if used properly. The Booster materials are particularly good as the students can find their weak points. It does need guidance from a teacher on how best to use it.

Does your child log in to their own area ie a double log in?
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Yes, both use it. Both have their own login. I presume by double login you mean the Digital book as well as the online homework tests. Must admit I do not know the strategy for how school kids should use it.

I know Reading School use the CGP textbook, and they get close to 90% A* for Ed Excel GCSE. I have decided to benchmark to that for supplementary work.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, I mean a second log in to their own area that tracks progress; we don't use the textbooks.

CGP is OK but better lower down the school - there are masses of resources produced by Edexcel themselves that they are sending free directly to teachers. We are using that extensively ...
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

TBH, I have tried to find books where I can defer to worked solutions, rather than the final answer. Can you please name any Ed Excel 9-1 GCSE textbooks, that come with separate worked solutions.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We haven't bought new texts yet as we have so much free stuff .. Edexcel, like the othe boards, is very keen to keep its market share.

No textbook I've ever seen has full solutions it would be expensive and there is rarely one way of tackling the question. Look at past mark schemes etc to see how complex providing solutions would be.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Optimist wrote:TBH, I have tried to find books where I can defer to worked solutions, rather than the final answer. Can you please name any Ed Excel 9-1 GCSE textbooks, that come with separate worked solutions.
I hesitate to ask, but isn't that why your DC have Maths lessons at school? Could they not just make neat notes for you of the methods that they are being taught, so that you can work through further examples in the same way, or do they have difficulty following the teacher for some reason?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

ToadMum wrote:
Optimist wrote:TBH, I have tried to find books where I can defer to worked solutions, rather than the final answer. Can you please name any Ed Excel 9-1 GCSE textbooks, that come with separate worked solutions.
I hesitate to ask, but isn't that why your DC have Maths lessons at school? Could they not just make neat notes for you of the methods that they are being taught, so that you can work through further examples in the same way, or do they have difficulty following the teacher for some reason?
Don't see much in the way of notes and methods. Certainly feel that they haven't scratched the surface on some topics. Think I have found a couple of good practice books for Ed Excel since my earlier post. Just feel that since the 11 plus exam, where we covered a lot of content, that DC has regressed in maths.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds2 (yr10) likes My Maths. He logs into his personal area, uses it for homework and also uses the online lessons when he needs further explanation of some class work. Thumbs up for it here.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Optimist wrote: Don't see much in the way of notes and methods. Certainly feel that they haven't scratched the surface on some topics. Think I have found a couple of good practice books for Ed Excel since my earlier post. Just feel that since the 11 plus exam, where we covered a lot of content, that DC has regressed in maths.
Talk to the teacher - I find it difficult to believe that they aren't given examples in class. We haven't finished the syllabus yet and I don't think any schools will have. Harder topics will be tackled when they understand the prior knowledge.

Presumaby you've found the Edexcel specification online?