Confused about what to buy???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
spongemum

Confused about what to buy???

Post by spongemum »

Hello again, I am looking, in particular for some NVR books, papers etc. I looked at the book shop here but even more confused. I noticed that some are standard, multiple choice, and some are called maths and english, and some called NVR Not very many NVR though. I think I need the standard format as I am in Lincs but which books, papers should I buy?

All help would be greatly appreciated :D
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I always found the Bond books good to work through. They do a range of different types. How to do Verbal Reasoning and How to do Non Verbal Reasoning are very good they explain the method behind each question and give a few practice questions. My child worked through these at her own pace.
Once completed, then I would move on to the Bond Assessment Papers which are really just like workbooks inside.
There are also lots of free downloads on the net, if you look on this site you will find some plus you can buy seperate papers for any individual subject.
Of course there are the NFER papers but I would save these until nearer the exam. Is it just NVR and VR in your area or maths too? IPS Maths papers were very good I thought - 35mins per paper so not too long either.
My advice to you though is to not let her get too obsessed. I would monitor how much she is doing and make sure it doesn't become too much. Good luck - I wish you and your daughter all the best. :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi spongeman

The NVR products created by Learning Together may be worth looking at. They are available from the book shop.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
spongemum

Post by spongemum »

medwaymum wrote:I always found the Bond books good to work through. They do a range of different types. How to do Verbal Reasoning and How to do Non Verbal Reasoning are very good they explain the method behind each question and give a few practice questions. My child worked through these at her own pace.
Once completed, then I would move on to the Bond Assessment Papers which are really just like workbooks inside.
There are also lots of free downloads on the net, if you look on this site you will find some plus you can buy seperate papers for any individual subject.
Of course there are the NFER papers but I would save these until nearer the exam. Is it just NVR and VR in your area or maths too? IPS Maths papers were very good I thought - 35mins per paper so not too long either.
My advice to you though is to not let her get too obsessed. I would monitor how much she is doing and make sure it doesn't become too much. Good luck - I wish you and your daughter all the best. :)

Thanks for the advice. I need it :lol: I think it is just the VR and NVR questions. Actually that is what threw me when i was looking for the books etc and saw the papers for maths and english??? I now assume that some ares tests are named this rather than VR and NVR??
spongemum

Post by spongemum »

Mike wrote:Hi spongeman

The NVR products created by Learning Together may be worth looking at. They are available from the book shop.

Regards

Mike
Many thanks :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Apart from the NFER published papers we have used the following:

-Bond "How to do Non-Verbal Reasoning" - an easy introduction to method

-AFN "Non-Verbal reasoning Practice Tests A,B,C&D" - perhaps a bit easier than NFER but follow the correct format though giving more time. Multiple choice, but we just ignore the answer sheet and circle answers on the paper.

-Eleven Plus Exams "Non-Verbal Reasoning Practice Tests 1,2&3" - download papers from this site - again follow the format but are multiple choice and give more time.

These are the only papers I have found to exactly mirror the types of question without adding in a lot of "irrelevant" types.
Copied this from an old post. People have also reported finding the two AE workbooks on non-verbal reasoning useful.

You definitely don't need to look at books on Maths and English - some areas set tests in these but they are not relevant for Lincolnshire and are not non-verbal reasoning under another name!
spongemum

Post by spongemum »

Thankyou Alex.

You answered all my questions. At least now I know what to look for :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

For Verbal Reasoning if you have already done the Susan Daughtrey Books 1-4 then the following are good though not exhaustive of all the question types:

-Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks Test Papers

- AFN - Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers - in 2 books - !-4& 5-8 - a little easier than the real thing but 100 questions in 50 mins like the real one

- IPS - "Verbal Reasoning Method and Technique" - very useful "how-to" book
-IPS - "Verbal Reasoning Additional Practice Questions" - good for practising particular types of question

- IPS - "Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers" - these are 30 minute papers (50 questions) good for shorter practice sessions

- The Tutors - Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers 1-12 - downloads from this site

-NFER - Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers (standard version) - but be aware that there are only 85 questions to do in 50 mins whereas the real thing has 100 in 50 mins and not all the question types are covered.

This is not exhaustive, just the ones we have found useful and most relevant.
Have copied the rest of that old post which deals with some recommendations for suitable practice materials for Verbal Reasoning for Lincolnshire (just in case you may find it useful too).
spongemum

Post by spongemum »

Thanks again for taking the time to post this.

It is a great help :)
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Hi Spongemum!

Personally, we didn't find the Bond NVR books that useful.

For NVR we used AE Tuition NVR 11+ Workbooks by Stephen Curran as it gave good explanations, examples and short exercises.

For VR we used IPS 11+ VR Method & Technique which goes through all the question types and there are a few 30 minutes "practice papers" at the end.
We also used VR Technique & Practice by Susan Daughtrey but found a lot of the question types were not relevant to our tests.

Finally, we used NferNelson Practice Papers for both VR and NVR but as there are only 4 papers in each we found it better to hone the technique via the books and use the Practice Papers nearer the time.

HTH and good luck!