Question for the Mods

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Question for the Mods

Post by Snowdrops »

I don't really understand the rules of what can and cannot be posted here on the website and what the difference is betweeen this board and Rehab.

Why I'm asking is because I come across vouchers for say, 2 for 1 deals at restaurants - or know a really good website for cheap reading books, but don't know if I'm allowed to post the links (I know I have done once before, but thought someone would say something if it was wrong - as far as I know no-one said anything).

I have however noticed some links on other boards/threads being removed.

Could it please be clarified as to what we can and cannot post and which boards we should be using for this purpose.

Please forgive me if this information is posted elsewhere - I haven't been able to locate it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've forwarded your message snowdrops, Thiose Who Know These Things will soon get you an answer!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thank you!! :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Snowdrops

This is a constant subject of conversation among the Mods over in the dungeon, and will probably always be a grey area.

The fixed and firm rule is that we do not permit advertising of commercial sites, or links to such sites.

However, there are occasions - such as the voucher scheme that you posted recently, where it is clear that a long-standing member is recommending something that may benefit all Forum members, and with no personal or commercial interest in mind.

I suggest that, if any member wishes to post a link to another site, you simply PM one of the Mods for approval first. It may take us a few hours to come to a decision, but we will try to do so as soon as is humanly possible.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Can I add a question to this?

On occasion, and I did this yesterday, we REFER to a website without explicitly giving the address...how acceptable is this likely to be? Would it depend upon the site which is being referred to, or is this a more acceptable way? ie Can we hint?

Not got a problem with what the answer might be - happy to conform - just wondering...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thanks Sally-anne :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Ed's Mum

I can honestly say, without any need to refer to my fellow Mods, that if you wish to post your link about "Hamster Care", it will be deemed acceptable! :lol:

As you and Snowdrops have found, this is a very grey area. Kumon maths is often mentioned on the Forum. Likewise we refer people to recommended reading books. They are highly reputable and known sources of information.

By comparison there are opportunists, spammers and others who will happily litter the Forum with links if we allow them to.

Essentially we are trying to maintain the integrity of the Forum as a source of unbiased information, a "clean site" free of disreputable links, and a place that parents can turn to for the best possible advice.

By all means support another parent by posting a link - please just check with us first that it is in the spirit of the Forum.

Assuming you have the consent of your hamster, please go ahead and post the link. :D

S-A
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My RATS have given me the go ahead! Thank you S-A!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now