CAT results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twinkles

CAT results

Post by twinkles »

Hi

I have just received my son's CAT test results which were taken in late September.

I haven't had the chance to discuss them with his teacher but basically in the note she gave me she has said that unless they score over 118 especially in Maths the school would be unlikely to support an appeal.

He scored the following:

Verbal - 115
Quantitative - 107
Non-Verbal - 109

I am a bit disappointed with these results. As i have mentioned elsewhere he has a confidence problem with maths and NVR he seems to look at them too deeply.

He is a bright boy and scored level 3s at the end of KS1. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head his results at the end of year 4 but they were all 4s. He is in the top sets for maths, literacy, spellings etc. Last year when he was 9 his reading age was 12.

Now I don't know what to do!!! I am sure the school will not recommend him take the 11+.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Twinkles
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

Its not up to the school. Its up to the parent.

The school can recommend or not as the case may be but at the end of the day its up to you as the parent.

Unless you believe your child will get stressed by the exams and this would cause them unnecessary harm, then what have you got to lose?
Alfie
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thanks Alfie2.

Yes I know it's up to me and not the school whether he does the 11+ or not and as you say there is nothing to lose by doing it.

I think what is annoying me at the moment is that the school will not back him should it go to appeal. I know they can't recommend/back everyone but I have always felt that he should do the 11+ and was capable of passing it but since he has been at this school he definitely seems to have lost his motivation and eagerness to learn.

Alfie2, I know you are having a tutor for your child and wondered if you would mind PMing me with details of where you found them/cost etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Twinkles
alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

Well I do think its a bit much when the school say they won't support an appeal when the test hasn't even been taken and you don't even know whether an appeal will be needed!!

It certainly gives out a whole lot of negativity before you even start.

I have sent you a PM about the tutor I use.
Alfie
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As the others said go for it, now that you have the results before you have to choose schools it is nowhere near the gamble it was in previous years. Avoid exam stress by doing lotsof familiaristaion before the test so that they know what to expect. You can either use a tutor to do this or do it yourself , it depends on your child which you feel would be the best route.
There are plenty of good resocurces available and you can always ask on the forum for advice and help.
TinDad

Post by TinDad »

Ignore them because:-

CAT scores are not always the best guide to 11 plus - see many previous postings on this.

You know your son better than they do.

They may not know much about the 11 plus there are surprisingly few in most primary schools.

They may not know anything full stop (see below):-

My two DD went to different primary schools several years apart. We were told by both schools neither would pass the 11 plus and they weren't suitable material for a Grammar. My second had far far worse CAT scores than your son, two were not even in triple figures! We ignored the advice. The first DD got into TOGS (Super Selective) and is thriving. The second DD came top of her school for those who took the test and is now waiting for the March letter to see her school choice. Utterly utterly useless, ignore them you know best.

Now you will know the result before you select the school if you believe he can do it there is nothing to lose (other than hassle pain and heartache).

Did I mention they were utterly useless?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thanks TinDad you have made me feel much better! :)

I find it hard to understand how they can base their judgement whether a child should or should not do the 11+ on the CAT results which would have been taken a year before they do the 11+.

It will be interesting to see what his teacher has to say at the parents evening in March as to his suitability!!

Thanks for everybody's encouraging replies.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Twinkles,

Go for it - CATs tests are not designed to test suitability for a GS!!

In fact in the Bucks handbook for HTs it specifically say they are NOT to use scores to base their recommendations on!!
Nerdymum

Post by Nerdymum »

Twinkles - those were my sons EXACT CAT scores last september -he has since taken and passed his 11 + with scores of 138, 135 and 121. So please ignore!!!!! Take the test!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now