Useful Resources for English
- There are a number of useful revision aids for English in our Free 11+ Practice Papers section.
- General Resources from the BBC cover spelling, reading and writing, and also lesson plans for teachers that can be adapted for use if you are home tutoring your child
- BBC Schools – Spellits offers spelling games for ages 7 – 11
- Alien Hangman is a game that children simply love!
- BBC – Words and Pictures – Drag ‘n’ Spell is a helpful resource to develop spelling skills in younger children. (Requires Adobe Shockwave to be installed; a download is available on the link.)
- St. Ambrose Barlow School’s website has spelling lists including both online games and printable downloads for Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6. The Year 6 list is particularly useful for challenging Year 5 children who are preparing for the 11+. There are also follow-on activities to build on the foundations of the spelling lists.
- Woodlands Junior School’s website is a treasure trove of resources for all KS1 and KS2 topics.
- Times Spelling Bee is very popular with children and offers different levels of challenge.
- Free Rice is an American website and as such, we would not normally recommend it for practice in English, but the concept of donating a grain of rice for every correct answer has huge appeal for children. An adult should spend a few minutes working with the child when they first use the website to point out the variations between US and English spelling, such as the different use of the letter s and z (familiarisation vs. familiarization) and the lack of the letter “u” in words such as “favour” and “favor”. It also covers several other curriculum topics that are useful for the 11+ including grammar, maths and multiplication tables.