Reading

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ann-m

Reading

Post by Ann-m »

Anyone can suggest me ,how to improve reading comprehension in few months . Do you think still we have time to catch up as we have few months left for 11+. my D struggling with comprehension!!!!!!! any advice and suggestion please? Does anyone had similar problem , and how overcome quickly ..... please advise me...

Thank you
piggys

Re: Reading

Post by piggys »

Where do you live and which geographical areas are you targeting?

If you could explain more regarding your dc's current situation and the level of books he / she is engaging with that would be helpful.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What books is she reading?

In my experience students who do well in comprehension have been reading challenging books so have encountered the vocabulary and some of the plot issues before.

How long is the comprehension likely to be in the exam she is sitting?

Some school never go beyond one page but others go to 3 or 4 pages so speed is absolutely critical. DG
babs

Post by babs »

Hi

I am interested to see if you can recommend any suitable books for my DD who enjoys mystery (something exciting should be happening) and literature that will help with vocab - she is bored of Harry Potter now.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Have a look at:
The Mysterious Benedict Society series (adventure, good vocab though American so my dd got told off at school for using "gotten" in stories, I loved the stories too)
Inkheart trilogy (translated from German, exciting but long)
The Penderwicks series (very gentle but things still happen, I think this is a brilliant series)
Swallows and Amazons - obviously much older but still relatable and they do have adventures - and of your daughter less them there are several others to try in the series
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I think there is a Bond 'How to do comprehension' or something like that. It has some useful tips. As others have said, reading is key and practising past papers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Try the Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence, great series that will teach them all about the Romans.

It is a series, the first one is the Thieves of Ostia.

Also A Series of Unfortunate Events

DG
mu81

Post by mu81 »

My DS was struggling too in comprehension during our 11+ journey last year. Reading together, learning vocabulary and checking understanding of the text helped. We read these books - Christmas Carol, Railway Children, Treasure Island, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Secret Garden, Eagle in the snow, Wind in the Willows, etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now