Creative writing incomplete Medway test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lslim88

Creative writing incomplete Medway test

Post by lslim88 »

Hi All, my daughter sat her creative writing test today and she told me she did not finish the task. It was to write a story. Do you think this will massively affect her scores? Is it even worth her completing the maths and VR tomorrow or has all been lost.
Last edited by lslim88 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitasol

Re: Creative writing incomplete

Post by mitasol »

Welcome to the forum.

Each school or area has a different allocation of marks. If you could say which area/school you may get more detailed information.
lslim88

Re: Creative writing incomplete

Post by lslim88 »

It was the Medway test in Kent.
PerpetualStudent

Re: Creative writing incomplete Medway test

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Islim88,

You might get more information based on experience in the Medway forum but I’ll throw in my two cents worth based on my reading of the Medway 11+ website.

https://www.medway.gov.uk/info/200137/s ... _test_11/6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Absolutely you should encourage your DD to sit the other two papers. There is no need to give up yet.

Firstly, the creative writing piece is marked on specific criteria so while completing the story might gain certain marks there might also be marks for SPAG, for originality, for vocabulary etc

Secondly, according to the weighting described below the creative writing is only 2/5 of the whole score.
Extended Writing standardised score x 2
plus
Mathematics standardised score x 2
plus
Verbal reasoning standardised score x 1
equals
Total weighted score

Thirdly, up to 2% of grammar selections are based on a review of DC’s schoolwork so even if your DD’s writing wasn’t up to her usual standard on the day then it may still be possible to get considered suitable for grammar.

So, don’t panic, keep calm and carry on.

HTH
PS
mitasol

Re: Creative writing incomplete Medway test

Post by mitasol »

Moved to Medway.