11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
honscupboard

English Comprehension

Post by honscupboard »

Hi
Can anyone help?
DS has just done tests and was confident. We have now moved onto 11+ papers and he falls for every trick in the book! He speed reads, completes the papers in 20 mins when they should take 50, tells me he has checked it and you guessed it ..... gets at least a third wrong! The comprehension part is his downfall, the rest is progressing. He sits Bournemouth in November.
Can anyone offer advice?
He also has to do Maths and NVR which need to be completed really quickly and I suppose that could have made matters worse, although he does live by the motto "he who is first is the winner!"
rachag

Post by rachag »

Hi. I have something v similar with my DD.
My plan is not for her to do anymore comprehensions on her own for the present - other stuff she is OK with. I will go through each question - which may contain 3 or more important pointers as to exact answer required - with her word for word until I think she has learned to pick up important cues. Then I will progress to doing each question on her own and checking this immediately while fresh in her mind before progressing to the next, going over mistakes made - hopefully her getting it with a pointer or two.

This is no doubt going to be very labour intensive but only way I have thought of to get round this. May not take too many papers with this shared approach for it to click - and perhaps come to be more like answering a puzzle? I will give it a go and keep looking here for better ideas.

Good luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now