Time to Panic?..or not?..

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rosie

Time to Panic?..or not?..

Post by rosie »

Has anyone else experienced this?

My DD has been practising various English papers over the past few months and is normally fairly competent in all areas of comprehension...however over the last couple of weeks I have given her past CSSE papers (Essex) to complete entirely on her own. She has had complete melt downs and has crumbled to the extent where she is getting less than 50%.

When we go over the papers together she just cannot find the answers and is unable to scan the text to logically find the relevant clues.
I have now tried to go back to basics (bit late maybe) but she just seems lost and all her confidence is diminishing.

Does any one have any suggestions on how I can get her back on track and/or ideas with regard to what sort of help I can give her please.
I am so stressed about the process anyway and now even more stressed because she is so troubled.

Thank you
Rosie
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Time to Panic?..or not?..

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

rosie wrote:Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes.

Panic doesn't work. Go back to basics and be supportive.

Only my 2p worth.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thank you, easier said than done re panic!

I will go back to basics and try to rebuild her confidence.

Out of interest, when you experienced this how close to the exam was it?
Daogroupie

Meltdowns

Post by Daogroupie »

We have had a few complete meltdowns including me ripping up a tutors vr paper, sorry tutors! It is really really hard to remain calm, sometimes I just feel like screaming. CSSE is really really hard, we did the maths yesterday and only got 60%. I think their pass mark must be really low, we did the mill on the floss english and my dd missed most of the points. It is obvously triggering panic so abandon it and try something else, there are lots of other options.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

Absolutely nothing to do with exams, but last year I ripped the lid of the children's DS, as we were going to be late for some event! I'm normally a really calm person, but sometimes even I lose my temper.

I was mortified, :shock: I stood there with the DS in my hand and mouth open in horror... and I could see the children trying really hard not to giggle.

Rosie, I hope you are managing to rebuild her confidence. Anyone, let alone a child, can have off days. I'm sure it'll be different in the real thing.
moved

Post by moved »

Hope all is going well.
SunlampVexesEel

Sally Herts wrote:I ripped the lid of[f] the ... DS... I stood there with the DS in my hand and mouth open in horror...
I thought DS was an abbreviation of Dear Son.... and ripping the lid off was some kind of macabre euphemism for decapitating your son.
I have been on this forum too long.
:lol:
Animis opibusque parati
rosie

Post by rosie »

We have been preparing for this exam for several months now and it has been a huge rollercoaster of emotions.

The pressure at times is immense and before my very eyes my DD (as I'm sure many others are) is burning out.

She does continue to complete practice papers as well as completing the confidence building english papers but I do feel at times it is like she is doing me a favour, although I always praise her and encourage her every step of the way.

I do know deep down she can do well and is capable of achieving the necessary results and am trying to focus on that now rather than the negative which can so easily consume you.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

Rosie, you sound well-prepared. That all sounds great. Your DD is now a bit sick of practice, and picking up on your vibes. I think you need to take time out, relax, forget about it, what will be will be, everyone has off days/weeks.

Just say to her you're sure she'll do fine in the exam. After all, will doing any more preparation really make a difference? No, you said yourself, she knows it all now.

And if she fails (not that she will), it's not the end of the world. She'll still be bright, healthy etc, and after all many "failures" go on to have happy successful lives.

(Not that I'm not stressing etc etc myself over my own DS... :D But it's easier to give advice than to take it.)

PS SVE I have fantasised about ripping the lid off DS as opposed to the DS, but have thus far managed to restrain myself :lol:
SunlampVexesEel

Hopefully those with more knowledge than I will back this up but... IMHO Parent Panic is far more widespread than Child Panic. The boredom your DD is experiencing is not unknown, with our DD we think we peaked too soon as we did OOC tests in an area we planned to move to and then local ones several months later. However, there is only so much practice you can do, once you have covered all the topics then it is possible to back off and just let everything take its course.
The kids know they have to do well and once prepared they just get on with it.
Sit down, breathe deeply, think positively about all the good stuff you have covered.
And to complete my comments above, come the final tests DD, remembered it all again and did the required.
Good luck
SVE

PS

I think its far harder on the parents. :lol: And the bit after the exam but before the results... is the worst!
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now