Reading Tips

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tubby

Reading Tips

Post by tubby »

Hi all

I am new to this forum my Daughter is 9 in year 4, she will be sitting for the 11 plus in redbridge in 2 years time i think, the main reason for posting is for advice really she does not like reading, taken her to lib., bookstores etc. This is obviously affecting her vocabs, is there anything i can do short of opening her head and filling it up with words. :( God help me.

Thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried audio books?

That way she will absorb teh vocabulary and get drawn into the story and with any luck she may well want to read other things by the same authorfor herself.

Public libraries usually have a really good selection on CD and cassette
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I am sure someone listed some games that are very good for developing vocabulary ???? Will have a hunt unless someone can remember what they were.

Other tricks to try are "word for the day" and trying to use it in all sorts of ways.. there are some vocab lists that you could use for this, best if it is made a bit of a game.

Don't worry, my DD and DS never read any more fiction than they absolutely had to but they picked up the vocab from elsewhere ..
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

That Rice game was recommended wasn't it - there's a sticky somewhere. I shall try and find it.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Here you go, first posting on this link tells you all about it and gives a link to the online game:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9089
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thank you
Milla

Post by Milla »

you could try things like Calvin and Hobbes or Tintin where there are pictures and words. C&H is very dear and very funny and it might be a way to encourage reading - and never underestimate dear old Enid Blyton. Some people look down on her but my DS2 started on her and has never looked back. Reads like a mad thing now, just eats books.