not suceeding in comp help please

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
arnesh

not suceeding in comp help please

Post by arnesh »

i dont know what to do anymore for practice on comp. im not improving im only getting 86%-96% in my scores. i worried tha im not going to get into qe.mind you the are only a little easier then nfer.

i need as much as help as i can get. please ,please help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That score sounds pretty good to me - where are you losing the marks?

Look at the questions you get wrong - is it because you don't get all marks? This is usually because you don't give all the reasons - e.g. for 3 marks you needs to make three points.

Analyse where you are going wrong and then I'll suggest where else to get practice.
arnesh

Post by arnesh »

im going wrong on the 'read between the lines' questions
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You could try the BBC KS3 NC tests revision website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesiz ... ndex.shtml

An old comment on this site about QE is:

"Assuming you are talking about Queen Elizabeth School for Boys in Barnet, I took the exams last year.

The second stage was English and mathematics, both are multiple choice, and are held in the first week of January.

I practiced for the mathematics using Nfer Nelson, R & S Educational and Bond Assessment Papers plus some ePapers (electronic pay and download papers) from this website by MW Educational and others.

I prepared for the English using Nfer Nelson multiple choice papers, Bond Assessment Books in English, First Aid English and an excellent book called 11+ A Parent's Toolkit. English was my weakest subject and I have to say that the latter book was just what I needed to raise my standards.

Good luck, the school (QE) is well worth competing for, but beware, being the no. 1 grammar school in UK, based on A-levels, means that there is a lot of pressure on you from day one, which does not suite everyone. It is a strict school, long days and stacks of homework - the worst thing is that even though you managed to get into the school within a couple of weeks they stream you into sets and this can be demoralising. In my year group they have taken in the 'top' kids from 111 different state and preparatory schools, now they have to get used to being in the bottom set in many subjects just because everyone is so bright in this school and someone has to come bottom. So for many boys it might be better to go to a worse school and be in the top set then go to a top school and be in the bottom set."

I think RGS is less competitive than this -
Ritsy

Post by Ritsy »

Guest55

Could you provide more details on the book - 11+ A Parent's Toolkit please?

thanks,

Ritsy

Post by Guest »

This website sells it in its bookshop and it gives some info. We bought our copy from WH Smiths online as it was the cheapest place at the time. Talks about essay writing, English grammar etc. Quite a useful book which I bought on the basis of recommendations from this website
Ritsy

Post by Ritsy »

Great! Found it - 11 plus English: A Parent's Toolkit by Katherine Hamlyn

Thanks,

Ritsy