Improving spelling

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BruceWayne

Improving spelling

Post by BruceWayne »

Hi,
Any suggestions/hints/tips on how to improve spelling.
I'd be interested in a list that I can try out on DS
TIA
yoyo123

Re: Improving spelling

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure what stage your child is at but i like the 'letters and sounds' programme. if you put that in a search engine you will come up with lots of sites. it's the way that spelling is being taught in primary, aimed at ks1 but the higher levels are good too. it deals with our weird spellings, like pie, sigh, sty, crime ..all ,eye> sounds but different ways of spelling it.

you could try googling "homonyms" too.

for more formal testing try Daniels and Diack spelling test (it is public domain). it has 40 words split into sets of 10, each progressively more difficult, the last being irregular --beautiful, women etc.

you can then see where they are having problems and work from there.
concernedkent

Post by concernedkent »

Hi, Yoyo

Could you possibly PM me with a specific site relating to the letters and sounds programme if you know of a good one, or any other sites that deal with spelling, preferably interactive. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Try http://www.spellanywhere.co.uk/spellings.php It's interactive but you might need a little search around for the right level - your school might even be there!!
We use Wordshark & it's been brilliant. The lists are in year order on the newer version anyway ie year 2 term 3 Lots of games & reward games too & it goes up to KS3 with a course for adults as well. Also you can just print off the spelling lists if you didnt want to play the games. I got mine off ebay for about half price.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried Woodlands Junior?

there are some really good links
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... eracy.html
concernedkent

Post by concernedkent »

Wow, this site is amazing! I really think that this site may help my son.

I am going to be speaking to the school once the new school year starts in September as I think that my son may have a form of dyslexia. He is only working at a level 2b for writing, but level 3a-4 for everything else - going into year 5 in September and I think that this indicates some kind of problem, as it is only spelling that he has real problems with (have posted int he SEN section).

Thanks, Yoyo :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now