Anyone recommend an Electronic Dictionary/Thesarus

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Optimist

Anyone recommend an Electronic Dictionary/Thesarus

Post by Optimist »

Hi can anyone please recommend an Electronic Dictionary/Thesarus. Something which can do Antonyms as well as synonyms.
yoyo123

Re: Anyone recommend an Electronic Dictionary/Thesarus

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried Argos online or Amazon, they have very helpful reviews, I use them quite often to research a purchase
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi Yoyo

I checked both, particularly, ARGOS as I wish to buy before Saturday.

The Seiko (£60) was promising but did not offer antonyms.

I will be checking other options too.
Abba

Post by Abba »

Hi Optimist

Not sure if you have already bought the dictionary, but I'd share this with you anyway.

I did buy an electronic dictionary for DS but it got broken within a year...not surprised as somehow things don't last for v long with him :roll: Let me add that we have been trying to report this to the manufacturer but without luck: terrible automated answering that gets you nowhere.

Now when we were looking to replace that we decided to buy a Kindle instead. And that’s one thing that I won’t regret – both my boys love reading on that and we have downloaded an excellent dictionary which has been more comprehensive than any electronic dictionary I have ever come across.

I’d therefore strongly recommend that you might want to look into buying an electronic book reader rather than a dictionary. I could carry on but it might give the impression that I have been paid to advertise for electronic book readers :lol:
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi Abba

Thanks for your reply. I did order the Sharp PWE500A. It came recommended, and we will see if it lasts past 3 months. DS1 is accident prone, inquisitive and clumsy!!! Hold that thought about the Electronic Reader.........may come back to you at Easter!

Happy New Year
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

We have the Sharp PW E300. I recommend it to everyone, and I'm sure yours must be better as it is a five hundred, :o

I bought it when ds1 took his 11+ 2 years and thankfully its still going strong.