Handwriting

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

Handwriting

Post by Midget Man »

Wondered if you good fellow's could give me an answer on this. Why, oh why is soo much importance placed on joined up writing? From such a young age too, surely the time is better spent on learning and importance placed on writing being legible, whether that be joined up or not :?: :?:

I can write joined up, but I choose not to, think my writing is far neater without it. Same as my Midget and I have no issue with it at all. My YR1 DS is being taught to do joined up writing before he can even write and I would much prefer if they were not forcing this at such a young age.

Edited to say: I even asked my DD's teacher why so much importance was placed on it and she couldn't really give a plausible reason either :lol:
moved

Re: Handwriting

Post by moved »

Both of my children were taught French cursive writing and they both write very quickly indeed.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tricky to write fast unless it is joined up I think. DS and DD started with joined up writing and never had to make the switch as I remember doing when aged about 7 - neat writing went all untidy again.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

My DD who's 7, is now in that position Herman. Has suddenly been made to do joined up and now there is barely any work written down as it is taking her forever, surely the content and tidyness is far more important at this age? :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Bane of my life - neat writing. All I can say is - look at your doctor's writing. Likely to be illegible. No connection between neat writing and intelligence at all, unless it is an inverse one. All 3 of mine write fast and scruffy or neat and slow. Forget it. More important things to worry about.

(and my proper answer is that because we make children learn to write so young in this country, they don't go through all the developmental stages needed to write neatly. They need to use play dough, sand, big paint brushes, big squirly pens etc for as long as they want, and then small movements will come more easily. But because of our rush to get kids doing 'proper' work, they struggle with forming letters when they are still tiny, and it is hard to re-learn later.).
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I agree Amber,just feel really sorry for my DD who is now writing an awful lot slower due to being forced into joined up writing, so if they moan that she is barely writing two sentence's to a story then I shall have no problem in telling them why :lol: Kids should be kids and I don't like all the pressure put on them when they are so young :?

Who cares how they write? The main thing should be is them enjoying actually picking up a pen and being inspired to write stories :evil: :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:Bane of my life - neat writing. All I can say is - look at your doctor's writing. Likely to be illegible. .
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
You been peeking ?

Too right.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Best friend and OH both write prescriptions - can't read either. I pity the pharmacists.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Have to say that as a lefthander who was made to write with an inkpen at school, but only having been discovered to be lefthanded by the school after 2 years, I don't see the point in persuing joined up writing. Certainly at work we are expected to write reports in block capitals to ensure legibility and previous employers have also discouraged the use of joined up writing for the same reason.
I'm aware that joined up writing is more elegant and attractive but, judging by some family letters dated back to the turn of the last century, it doesn't necessarily make it legible.

P.S. Dated is ok but d*a*t*i*n*g is censored-got to love software
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

At our parents evening 8 days before the exam, all my ds1s teacher said was how poor his handwriting was(its actually much neater than mine). I was left feeling that if she had nothing positive to say maybe I shouldnt let ds1 do the test.
Anyway,we did,he passed brilliantly and will be off to gs next year. :D
Dont worry about it too much,in time it will sort itself out.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.