Vocabulary workbooks

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Turtlegirl

Vocabulary workbooks

Post by Turtlegirl »

I've just been pooching around the internet, looking for workbooks that might help my daughter with her vocab for the 11+ (lots of synonym/antonym questions for the exam in our area). With a previous tutor she was doing a weekly sheet of vocab crosswords/sentence completion and I'm trying to find something similar for her.

Has anyone used the 11+ Spelling and Vocabulary Workbooks from ae Tuition (authors Curran and Vokes)? What level of those books would be appropriate for a 2011 11+ taker?
pixiequeen

Re: Vocabulary workbooks

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Turtlegirl

We used those books and I think they did help my DD's understanding alot. I was surprised at the amount of words in them that she didn't know. We started on book 8 and just about finished book 11 by the time of the 11+. Book 8 was fairly easy but still worth while. Depends how much time your DC has. Books were very good for words with a double meaning - each double page has a set on sentences to complete, and then a crossword to do, so one meaning got used in the sentences and one in the crossword.

Pixiequeen
um

Post by um »

I also agree that the AE Vocab books are very good.
However depending on the type of test, the child will need to memorise lists of vocab and synonyms too - you could take the main words from the books, or use other lists such as those in Schonell or First Aid English.
If you start Book 7 the November before the test, and complete 2 units per week, you should finish Book 12 before the test (assuming it is November, as it is here in Birmingham!). This is what I have been doing with the children I work with. And despite being very bright, many of the words even in Book 7 were new to them.
The real serious vocab starts in Book 9 to be honest, but for an average-vocab child, starting them straight on this could well traumatise them :D
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Thanks all. I agree that they're very good: I ordered Book 8, which arrived today, and have realised that we were further ahead previously than I thought - her old tutor had been giving us the exercises, although I hadn't realised they were from the AE books. I think we're already on Book 10. Time for another shopping expedition to Amazon...

What do you do with the words once you've done the AE books. Do you use vocab books or anything similar to help with vocab revision? I am thinking (having tried and failed with vocab books) of getting those revision cards on keyrings and getting the words on those, with synonyms written underneath and antonyms on the other side. My daughter's comprehension skills are excellent, but if she sees a word out of context (as I think you face in the Birmingham tests) she often goes completely blank.

Last night I was quizzing her on vocab from a story we were reading and she mainly tried to explain them using actions! That would be fun in the 11+, eh?