Abridged classics?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manana

Abridged classics?

Post by Manana »

DH fancies reading Treasure Island to DS (as he enjoyed it as a child), but we weren't sure whether to go for the original or an abridged version? DS is 9 and a bit of a reluctant reader, so we don't want to put him off classic works for life!

Would anyone eb able to recommend an abridged version of Treasure Island?
um

Re: Abridged classics?

Post by um »

I havn't seen an abridged book, although I am sure they're out there, but the BBC classics audio recording is abridged very well, easy for children to follow whilst still retaining the richness of the original language.
la boume

Post by la boume »

I have an abridged version with the CD. It is Hear IT Read It series by Naxos audiobooks for ages 7 and up. Quite large print, good illustrations.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not that this is much help, but I remember ready children;s versions of the classics when I was about 10. I read Jules Verne Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels and Treasure Island and LOVED them. The CD is a great idea too - didn't have them in my day! ( not quite as far back as 78s)
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Have a look at and listen at project guttenberg they have a horrible computer generated reading of Treasure Island.

Which combined with a low cost book version got my DS2 interested. :)

Yeah OK, I put the headphones on him at bedtime and the book in front of his nose, but it worked!