Brain storming story ideas

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Re: Brain storming story ideas

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think that sounds great FB. I think the next question is why do you think that ie from their clothing, their expression, clenched hands etc You can even do it with random passers by to get him used to the idea that characters are just people eg why's that boy running? Who from? What to? Whst does that car driver do for a job? How can we tell? What are that couple arguing about etc
I hate ot say this menagerie, and I may well be wrong, but I'm quite surprised that there aren't resources of this kind around. I've never really looked for leaflets but when I taught I used parts of The Art of Narrative, Writing and Coursework GCSE English 2 etc
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Ourmam. They are exactly the sort of things one can do in the car at traffic lights or in a waiting room. This could actually be fun! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Glad to be of help! :D I think the other thing you need to remind DCs is to do this quietly!! :lol:
Last edited by ourmaminhavana on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

ourmam - Yes, of course there are resources out there, but as you said, people dip in and out of different ones because there isn't a comprehensive guide on how to encourage the structuring of to creative and critical thinking for KS2 onwards. Do you know of a single resource a parent can go to for frameworks for stories and essays at KS2 level, which can then be built on for KS3 work? I haven't yet found one which is fun, accessible and with the range I'm looking for. If a one-stop book exists already which does what I teach, I won't write one too, as it's not likely to make a fortune, but it would be a great resource.

A lot of what I see is dull. It doesn't spark the child's imagination. And a lot of resources frown deeply on any imitative work. While you want the DC to be past this stage once they're submitting writing for exams, it's a crucial developmental stage, creatively. Artists copy from the masters, chefs follow recipes before designing their own. Writing is improved long term by encouraging the imitative stage, and explaining how it's useful, before moving on from it. That's just one example of the kind of processes the book might touch on.
vasu

Post by vasu »

menagerie wrote:This is a bit opportunist of me but... if I wrote a pamphlet/mini book on exactly this subject, How to Develop a Story or Essay, would you buy it?

I ask because I teach this stuff. I design all my own material because the literature available on this topic is pretty useless and imprecise. The format would be a series of fun exercises which are applicable whatever stage you're at, because they are essentially foundation blocks for structuring creative and critical thinking. So the booklet would be useful to KS2 but also up to A-level essay writing?
It is a brilliant initiative Menagerie. Writing is tricky and some children struggle with penning down original content and some derivative of some book they read. I guess that is ok as younger age. Most of the kids find writing quite bothersome in general. :)

This is how I tell my kids to do it. Remember your "W".Who, where, when and what. That should be the skeleton of your story. And every W need some muscle added to it. So build upon the "W"s.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Vasu I agree that's the place to start. But many children take it too literally and begin a story: On 17th February Ben woke up in his bedroom... which isn't setting the reader's heart alight.

So tricks on how to get those Ws to engage the reader are the second thing to plan before they start writing.
vasu

Post by vasu »

That is the trick, my dear. :). You are right, some kids just follow the advice literally. I have been lucky as both my boys have an over-active imagination!!!! And that they love to write. :)
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

You may well be right Menagerie, I've never looked for primary resources! It might be worth trying out on line initially?Good luck.:)
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Vasu, encourage them. That ability is so undervalued and under estimated at school educational level. But in business, the ability to think both clearly and laterally, and to convey ideas persuasively puts you in the strongest position for getting on. People dismiss it as 'creative' and think practical skills are more desirable, but as they grow older, it's not true. Creative thinkers get the highest salaries.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi Bananas,

Not sure which one of your many writing posts to put this on :P but I was just browsing through a Book People catalogue and saw a book by Usborne called " Write Your Own Story Book " and is described as " packed with writing techniques to make every story a masterpiece , story themes from murder mystery to tales from outer space ....and each activity comes with ideas for characters and settings as well as questions to prompt the imagination. "

It's for 8 years plus...and I saw it and thought of you ! x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now