Brain storming story ideas

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Re: Brain storming story ideas

Post by fatbananas »

:cry: I gottit, Scarlett, I gottit ...

On a happy note, DS began writing a story yesterday - mother's day - beginning "She's dead? How could mum be dead?" :shock:

So ... I guess I'm getting through ....
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Eh ??? Do you mean you already have the book and it's no good ? :? I was really excited !

Don't worry about the death stories. DD always will write stories about a mother who sadly dies. I'm beginning to get a complex/worry that she knows something I don't. :shock:
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

What's it like FB? I was going to get it too (to check out the competition.) How's FB junior doing?

Ourmam has brilliant ideas. Love all the pictures and clothes spy stuff.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I have got the book. Actually, it is rather good. DS does need a lot of hand-holding but I do feel we may (may ... don't want to be too confident!) be getting somewhere with structure. Think he's getting the idea of scene setting, introducing character, introducing problem, resolving problem, ending. The 'problems' we seem to be up against now are:

DS seems to take for granted that I will know what he's talking about because we've discussed it at the planning stage. So, if the story is about a magic carpet, say, he will refer to it as 'it' instead of even once mentioning 'the magic carpet'! :roll:

He has real difficulties thinking about characters. He cannot 'imagine' people. He seems only to be able to think of a dog; a beetle; himself; mum; dad. He finds it hard to imagine how they would be feeling. I think that stuff is hard and I don't quite know how to help him. Think perhaps doing an Ourmam experiment and asking him why that person's fist is clenched etc etc might help. And would be good for comprehensions too!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now