Should a 9 yrs old be reading Hunger Games and Cherub books?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
First-timer

Re: Should a 9 yrs old be reading Hunger Games and Cherub bo

Post by First-timer »

I've never heard of the Cherub books, so can't comment. DD (10) is reading the first Hunger Games book at the moment. She loves it. We've already seen the film and I've read the trilogy ahead of her. There's nothing in it that I am concerned about or feel that she needs to be protected from. It's a thumping good read. It's clearly a fantasy and is more likely to encourage empathy than inure its readership to violence. It's not that I'm not careful about what she's exposed to. I won't allow Jacqueline Wilson books in the house and Eastenders is always switched off within a couple of bars of the opening theme tune. Other parents will think differently. That's fine. :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

Mr dd read and re-read the Hunger Games in the summer hols. She loved it, but I'm not sure she understood it ... I haven't read it or seen the film, but she insists it is set in the past because it is about hunting and trading ... whereas I am told it is set in the future.

I'm probably a bad parent not to know what it is about, but is it violent? Isn't it about children fighting for food, and survival?

I am afraid my dd has been reading Jacqueline Wilson for too long. At long last she seems to have moved on to Lemony Snicket, a few classics like What Katy Did/Secret Garden, some abridged classics, and books labelled "teenage" in the library. I am sick of Jacqueline Wilson and Cathy Cassidy.

Any suggestions for a year 6 girl to read?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Kingfisher,

What is wrong with Lord of the Flies? At our secondary school, it is studied for GCSE, together with Of Mice and Men, every year. Pupils start reading it in year 9 ...

I must read it - and the Hunger Games.

Has anyone got a dd asking to read Fifty Shades of Grey?! I haven't a copy, haven't read it, and I do not want my dd to read it. It's difficult to stop her when she says she goes to her friend's house and reads it there. Now surely that is worse than the Hunger Games? Sorry, forgot to say dd is only ten.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

ginx wrote:Kingfisher,

What is wrong with Lord of the Flies? At our secondary school, it is studied for GCSE, together with Of Mice and Men, every year. Pupils start reading it in year 9 ...
nothing wrong with it for year 9 - just maybe not appropriate for 9 years old
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Has anyone got a dd asking to read Fifty Shades of Grey?! I haven't a copy, haven't read it, and I do not want my dd to read it. It's difficult to stop her when she says she goes to her friend's house and reads it there. Now surely that is worse than the Hunger Games? Sorry, forgot to say dd is only ten.
I would be seriously concerned if I had a 10 year old DD who'd read any of Fifty Shades. Do you think the friend's mum knows her DD is reading it? :o
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Ginx, you are right that it has been studied for GCSE for years. And highly popular it is too. It's fine for older children, but I would be extremely unhappy to know that my 9 pr 10 year old was reading about sadistic murder and violence and as I said, there is the rape imagery as well. Just because it is about young children does not mean it is for young children.

And I agree that I too should be horrified to know that DD was reading Fifty Shades and she wouldn't be visiting that friend again!

We want our children to read - of course- and there are some lovely texts out there. LOTF and FSOG are not right for their age group, however.

What about some good old Tolkien? :D
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

ginx wrote: Has anyone got a dd asking to read Fifty Shades of Grey?! I haven't a copy, haven't read it, and I do not want my dd to read it. It's difficult to stop her when she says she goes to her friend's house and reads it there. Now surely that is worse than the Hunger Games? Sorry, forgot to say dd is only ten.
So funny, I was looking at a trilogy set of Hunger Games in a stand outside a shop today for dd and asked dh to pause whilst I looked at a book for her. He looked at me in utter horror, took me a few minutes to realise he had only seen the other book in the stand which was Fifty Shades!
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
ginx

Post by ginx »

Are there any recommendations on here of suitable books for my 10 year old dd? What do people think of abridged classics? I loved the real books - but my dd would prefer some contemporary books, I feel.

A friend recommended a series of books where there is a heroine set in different periods of time ...

Is there a list on the forum anywhere of recommended books? Open to any ideas (but not Fifty Shades of Grey!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 (nearly 10, reading age 13 and a half plus), having read his way through A Series of Unfortunate Events, Hunger Games, Cherub, Alex Rider, is currently focussing on Enid Blyton's Famous Five :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now