English materials for year 4 child.

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

peppermint2014

English materials for year 4 child.

Post by peppermint2014 »

Hi,

I am new to this forum... so I hope you will be gentle with me with my lack of knowledge: lol:
I think it is about time to start working with my year 4 child (in this Sep) but not so sure where to start.
I am about to venture into 11+ area… so good luck to me.
I've bought the 'Bond' year 4 book. Is it a good book to start with?
Any advice / guidelines will be much appreciated.
I saw comprehensive reading book list in this forum but what is suitable for year 4?

Thank you.
yoyo123

Re: English materials for year 4 child.

Post by yoyo123 »

Welcome to the forum. What area are you in? The format of the test varies from area to area, so what you need to cover will vary.

This is quite a good place to start

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find out the format of the test where you are.

General vocabulary is a good starting point. Try http://www.freerice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, play scrabble or boggle ( use a dictionary too to find new words).
peppermint2014

Post by peppermint2014 »

Thanks YoYo123,

We are near Herts/Bucks border. I am more keen on Bucks schools, but I know the exam is changing from 2013, so I thought I should give it head start for English.

Thank you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

would you like me to move this to the Bucks section?

There has been a lot of discussion about the new format in Bucks, so it might be worth looking back through old posts in that section too.
peppermint2014

Post by peppermint2014 »

My original question is about how to prepare the year 4 child in English. Get them gear towards for 11+ regardless of if bucks or Barnet exam types.

I think I will look into specific papers / topics when the child move to year 5?

Thanks for the freerice website and my child already loving it. :) (at least for last half an hour!!)
peppermint2014

Post by peppermint2014 »

Any other website or books anyone could suggest for a year 4 child to improve on English?

Thank you..
Peppermint.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now